Organic Grilled Asparagus with Poached Egg, Parmigiano and Lemon Zest
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time15 mins
1. Preheat a grill pan or grill to medium-high heat.
2. Holding the tip and stem of each asparagus spear, snap the asparagus where it will naturally break. Discard the ends. Toss the asparagus with oil and salt to taste. Grill the asparagus until slightly charred and pliable on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes for pencil or 5 to 7 minutes for standard. Remove to a platter and reserve at room temperature. Grill each slice of bread until crispy and slightly charred on both sides. Rub each piece of bread vigorously with the raw garlic clove. Reserve with the asparagus.
3. Fill a bowl with cold tap water and the ice cubes. This will be the holding area for the eggs after they have been poached. Keep the bowl near the stove.
4. Fill a medium saucepan two-thirds of the way with water. Add the white vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat on the burner until the bubbles in the water have subsided. Gently crack and drop each egg into the water. Cook the eggs for 3 to 4 minutes. When done, the whites will be cooked through and the yolks will be warm but still liquid. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs from the saucepan and place in the bowl of cold water. Reserve.
5. To assemble the salad: Toss the rocket with half of the lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Gently toss the salad until coated with the lemon and olive oil. Add more lemon juice and oil if needed. TASTE IT! The salad should be dressed and flavorful but not soggy. Divide the rocket among 4 individual plates. Arrange the asparagus on top of the rocket on each plate.
6. While dressing the salad, bring the saucepan of poaching water to a simmer. Gently return the eggs to the saucepan until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. When the eggs are hot, remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon and gently blot on a tea towel to remove any excess water. Immediately place 1 egg on top of the asparagus on each plate. Sprinkle each with some salt, Parmigiano and lemon zest. Drizzle each piece of grilled bread generously with olive oil and cut in half on the bias. Lean the toast halves against each egg.
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell
Other recipes with lemon
Blueberry-Lemon Pie with a Butter Crust
20-Minute Chicken Thighs and Couscous with Dill
Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Pine Nut Pesto
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese and Asparagus Tart
Grilled Salmon with Citrus Salsa Verde
Grilled Lamb Sandwiches
Grilled Tuscan Chicken
Pan-Roasted Carrots with Mint and Parsley Gremolata
Rack of Lamb with a Saffron Sauce
Iced Easter Biscuits
Lyle's® Easter Egg Cake Pops
Lemon Macaroon Chicks
Raspberry and Lemon Easter Cake
Creamy Broccoli Salad
Roasted Italian Cauliflower
Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken and Vegetables
Healthy Broccoli Roman Style
Grilled Chickpea Polenta Cakes with Chive Oil and Lemon
Healthy Roast Asparagus with Creamy Almond Vinaigrette
Prawns on Couscous
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Brooklyn, New York
Casey Webb’s quest takes him to Brooklyn for a barbeque and deli feast. Plus, he samples an Italian seafood staple and takes on a spicy shrimp challenge.
Newark, New Jersey
Casey Webb heads to go home state, New Jersey! He samples an iconic Italian hot dog, a Portuguese pork sandwich and takes part in a taco challenge.
Delivery: DDD OGs
Guy and Hunter Fieri send out a big box of groceries to three diner chefs. They must make a classic takeaway dish using an unusual kitchen gadget.
The Northern Plains
The seven bakers put their own spin on South Dakota’s kuchen. Then for the bake-off challenge they make a new dessert with Minnesota’s scotcheroo ingredients.
From Europe To Asia
Guy finds righteous ramen in Millcreek, Utah, artichoke parmesan soup in Grand Junction, Colorado, and stuffed cabbage and schnitzel in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Delivery: One Box Only
Guy and Hunter send only one box of groceries to three winning chefs. They must use the same 15 items in both a hot lunch and Sunday supper.
Delivery: All-Star Holiday
Guy and Hunter recruit three all-star chefs to play holiday games in their home kitchens. The chefs must cook up two different seasonal dishes.
Delivery: All-Star Hanukkah
Guy and his son, Hunter send ingredients and food challenges for a Hanukkah competition at home. They must turn eight leftover items into a meal.
Classic And Comfort
Guy Fieri's comfort-filled joy ride takes him to Draper, Utah, for fried chicken and grits and then heads to Nashville for vegan chorizo.
Tacos, Tots And Chops
Guy Fieri's enjoying a real deal Reuben in Grand Junction, Colorado, next-level tacos in Salt Lake City and Middle Eastern specialties in Nashville.
Delivery: Double Trouble
Guy Fieri and his son, Hunter send three all-star chefs two boxes of groceries and challenge them to reinvent classic food duos!
Inspired by a visit to the Caledonian Forest in Scotland, Mary makes some hearty meals. She shares her recipes for a warming hotpot and a tasty puff pastry tart.
Mary begins her culinary exploration of Yorkshire by sampling some classic dishes in the ancient seaport of Whitby. Later, she visits a world-renowned smokehouse.
Guy Fieri's digging into a world of flavour with unexpected dumplings in Oregon, real deal mofongo in Utah and coal-fired pizza in Nashville.
Sandwiches And Spice
Guy is in Salt Lake City to visit a Venezuelan spot that’s making amazing arepas. And, a Nashville joint is putting their own twist on Jamaican specialties.
Delivery: Home Sweet Home
Guy and Hunter Fieri deliver sweet treats and unsavoury surprises to their favourite dessert-loving chefs. Who will win a chance to spin the money wheel?
Delivery: All-Star Thanksgiving
Guy and Hunter Fieri play some holiday-inspired games and challenge their favourite chefs to cook up the best Thanksgiving dinner!
Yes We Have No Banana Pudding
Alton reinvents a dessert from his childhood, banana pudding. He shares his recipes for baked banana pudding and refrigerated banana pudding.
Alton Brown delves into pumpkin pie, taking the classic back to Plymouth and forward into the future. Plus, he cooks up whole pumpkin pie soup.