Pan roasted duck breast
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
2 duck breasts
Razz Cherry Garlic Glaze:
3/4 cup red wine
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 cup grenadine
1 (1-ounce) piece pancetta, chopped
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 shallot, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 clove elephant garlic
1/4 cup razz cherries (raspberry infused dried cherries)
1 cup fresh baby spinach
1 head frisee
1 tablespoon chopped roasted hazelnuts
1 tablespoon snipped chives
Razz Cherry Garlic Glaze, to serve, recipe follows
1 tablespoon chopped chervil leaves
1) Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Score the skin of the duck breasts and season them lightly with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil to the skillet and put in the duck breasts, skin side down. Cook slowly, rendering the fat, until the duck skin is golden and crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the duck breasts over and cook them in the duck fat for 2 minutes. Remove the duck breasts from the pan to a plate, cover them with foil, and let them rest for 5 minutes.
2) After the duck has rested, return them to the skillet, skin side down, over medium heat. Spoon the duck fat over the breasts until they are just heated through. The skin should be crispy and duck meat should be pink in color. Transfer to a cutting board.
3) In another medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the pancetta and cook until it begins to color, about 5 minutes. Add the shallot and garlic and cook until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and add in the spinach and the frisee. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then add the hazelnuts and toss the greens gently to coat them with the oil. Cook the greens until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
4) To serve, divide the greens onto 2 plates and garnish with the chives. Slice the duck breasts and fan them over the greens. Spoon the razz cherry garlic glaze across the duck and garnish with chervil.
For the razz cherry garlic glaze:
1) Combine the red wine, grenadine, vinegar, and sugar in a saucepan over high heat and bring it to a boil. Peel and slice the garlic as thinly as possible. Add the garlic and razz cherries to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Continue to cook until the sauce is reduced and syrupy, about 15 minutes.
Other recipes with duck
Honey-glazed Duck Breast with Sweet and Sour Greens
Confit Shoulder of Organic Lamb with Rosemary and Garlic Poached Plum Tomatoes
Spice Rubbed Grilled Duck Breast with Grilled Peach and Goat Cheese Salad
Goat Cheese, cherry, and walnut stuffed duck breast with a champagne glaze
Duck with apple sauce and mashed potatoes