Panettone eggy bread
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the marinated berries
For the glazed apples and pears compote
2) Heat 15g of the butter in a large skillet over a medium heat. Dip 2 bread slices in the egg mixture and immediately lay them in the skillet. Cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining slices of bread. Bake the bread slices until warmed through and slightly puffed, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3) To serve, transfer the toasts to a large serving platter or plates and dust generously with icing sugar. Serve with marinated berries or glazed apples and pears.
For the marinated berries:
1) In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, citrus zests and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer very gently until syrupy, about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the citrus juices.
2) Combine the berries in a bowl. Strain the warm syrup over the berries and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Serve.
For the glazed apples and pears compote:
1) Peel, core, and cut both the apples and pears into 2-cm wedges. In a medium bowl toss the fruit with the lemon juice.
2) Melt the butter in a medium skillet over a medium heat. Add the sugar, orange zest and cinnamon sticks and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the fruit, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until glazed, about 10 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the orange juice, and cook until the fruit is easily pierced with a paring knife, about 1 minute more.
3) If desired, add the Calvados. If cooking on a gas burner, carefully tip the pan toward the flame to flambe the alcohol; if cooking over an electric element, hold a long match near the mixture. Swirl the pan over the heat until the flame subsides. Serve warm.