- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time40 mins
1. Mix the cold water with stock powder to make a stock and bring to the boil.
2. Then whisk in the maize meal, adding a little at a time, whisk continuously to remove any lumps.
3. Now using a wooden spoon. stir, beating the pap against the pan until it comes together. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
4. Stir again and cook for another 20 minutes until cooked.
5. Add butter to a pan and cook the bacon, onions and garlic for 5 minutes over a high heat, until the fat is rendered over. Add the herbs and stir.
6. Add the bacon and vegetable mix to the pap and stir in.
7. Transfer into a baking tin and press down until even. Cut into round shapes using cookie cutters and set aside in a warm place until serving time.
Tip: The bottom of the pan must form a tortilla like shell and leave the pan clean underneath -that you can enjoy with jam or even a savoury spread! Its delicious and quite a treat.