Pasta with Easy Sheet-Pan Tomato Sauce
Recipe Courtesy of Elena Besser
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time15 mins
450g cherry tomatoes
2 plum tomatoes, halved and poked with a paring knife
450g peppers, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped (any combination red bell peppers, mini sweet peppers, red chiles such as jalapeños and serranos, and Italian long hots)
Cloves from 1 head garlic, peeled
120ml extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
450g pasta (fusilli, farfalle or rigatoni)
85g grated pecorino
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Fresh oregano leaves, for garnish
- Position a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat to 230 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Place the cherry tomatoes, plum tomatoes, peppers and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Place on the top oven rack and roast until the tomatoes burst and the garlic and peppers have softened, about 20 minutes, rotating the pan about halfway through the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, generously salt the boiling water and cook the pasta, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 9 to 10 minutes. Once the pasta is done, reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and drain the pasta.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. Mash the tomatoes, garlic and peppers with the back of a spoon. Pour the sauce over the pasta in the pot and cook over medium heat, adding 1/2 cup of pasta water and constantly tossing, until the sauce evenly coats the pasta, 2 to 3 minutes. Add more of the cooking liquid if needed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the pecorino. Divide the pasta between plates and garnish with the remaining pecorino, basil and oregano and enjoy.