Peach raspberry shortcakes
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the filling
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas mark 6. Sift the flour, 1 tbsp of the sugar, the baking powder and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Blend in the butter at the lowest speed and mix until the butter is the size of peas.
2) Combine the eggs and double cream and quickly add to the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended; the dough will be sticky.
3) Dump the dough out onto a well-floured surface. Flour your hands and pat the dough out until it is 2cm thick. You should still be able to see lumps of butter. Cut 6 or 7 biscuits with a 7cm fluted cutter and place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
4) Brush the tops with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outsides are crisp and the insides are fully baked. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
For the topping:
1) Whip the cream and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add the vanilla and continue to beat until the peaks are stiff.
2) Split each shortcake in half crosswise and place the bottom half on a plate. Spoon whipped cream on top, then place the sliced peaches and raspberries on the whipped cream.
3) Garnish with the orange zest, then place the other half of the shortcake on top and serve.