Peking Duck with Apple and Tamarind Sauce
For the brining solution
For the sauce
1. Clean the duck and cut off its wings, then remove the innards (you can get your butcher to do this for you). Wash the duck cavity well, then pat it dry. Using a sharp skewer, make small pricks over the skin, being careful not to damage the skin too much. In a baking tray carefully pour 150 millilitres of boiling water all over the skin of the duck as this will help to tighten it, resulting in a crisp skin once it’s cooked. Pat the duck dry inside and out.
2. To make the brining solution, dissolve the sugar and salt in the warm water and then mix in the cold water and add the vinegar. Place the duck in a large roasting dish and pour the solution over it. Chill it for a minimum of 3 hours, or up to 24 hours, turning the duck a few times. Remove the duck and pat it dry, discarding the brining solution. Place it on a wire rack over a large roasting tin and chill, uncovered, overnight. Before cooking, remove it from the fridge and leave it to rest for an hour to hep the skin dry out.
3. Combine the sugar, salt and five spice and rub this thoroughly inside the duck. Stuff the cavity of the duck with the ginger, shallots and star anise. Using a skewer, seal the cavity by weaving it through the skin. Heat the oven to 150°C.
4. With the duck still on the roasting rack over the roasting tin, cook for 2 hours 15 minutes, turning it over halfway through. Increase the heat to 240 degrees Centigrade and cook for a further 10-15 minutes to crisp the skin. if you like your duck even crispier, heat a pan of peanut oil to 180°C, or until a cube of bread turns golden brown in 15 seconds.
5. Carefully ladle the hot oil over the skin to crisp it further, until the skin turns golden brown. Mix together the runny honey and tamarind paste and stir well.
6. Toast the Chinese pancakes whole on a low heat in a non-stick frying pan.
7. Remove and serve with apple, micro herbs and spring onion. You can keep the pancakes warm in a tray covered with foil.
Roast Peking Duck
Other recipes with duck
Honey-glazed Duck Breast with Sweet and Sour Greens
Kirill Runkov's Barbarian Cocktail
Roasted Five-Spiced Aylesbury Duck
Pan Roasted Duck with Picota® Cherry Sauce
Confit Shoulder of Organic Lamb with Rosemary and Garlic Poached Plum Tomatoes
Pan-fried Honey Orange Duck
Spice Rubbed Grilled Duck Breast with Grilled Peach and Goat Cheese Salad
Grilled quail with lingonberry sauce
BBQ duck on corn cakes
Goat Cheese, cherry, and walnut stuffed duck breast with a champagne glaze
Duck, duck, delicious burgers
Braised chuck roast
Duck with apple sauce and mashed potatoes
Pan roasted duck breast
Roast duck with ginger and lime sauce
Duck fat potatoes
Bobby Chinn’s Spring Roll
Crispy Fragrant Duck Tacos with Asian Pear and Mango Salsa
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.