Persian Lamb and Herb Stew (Ghormeh Sabzi)
- Cooking Time210 mins
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onion until soft and beginning to brown.
2. Sear the lamb in the onion mixture for just a minute or two. Add the turmeric and make sure you've coated your lamb with it. Transfer to a large casserole pot and add the salt and pepper.
3. If using dried fenugreek, soak it in warm water for 10 minutes, then drain. Gently fry in the remaining oil for 3 -5 minutes before adding to the lamb with the parsley. If using fresh fenugreek just add to the casserole pot with the parsley without frying.
4. Add the red kidney beans and 700ml water to the pot. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and gently simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
5. Prick 4 or 5 holes in each dried lime and add to the pot. Push them down so water begins to fill them and they aren’t floating to the top. Cook for another 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours until the lamb is tender. Check water content halfway through cooking and add extra water if necessary.
6. Remove lamb bones and dried limes and serve with Basmati rice.
Recipe courtesy of Kenwood's Around the World in 80 Plates