Pollo diablo (Garlicky, spicy, deep-fried chicken)
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time15 mins
For the garlic mixture
2) Place the chicken pieces into the egg whites, mixing until each piece is covered. Sprinkle with a pinch each of garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir to distribute.
3) Dredge the chicken pieces in cornflour, draining most of the egg white from chicken by picking up a handful and allowing the egg white to drain while moving to the cornflour. Cover the pieces completely by turning in cornflour.
4) Pick up the chicken in handfuls and transfer from hand to hand to shake off most of the cornflour. If using a deep-fryer place the pieces into a fry basket and lower into the hot fry oil; shake the basket after 10 to 15 seconds to make sure the pieces separate as they cook.
5) Fry until the pieces float on top of the oil and are light brown, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. The chicken should appear somewhat dry, not oily, when the basket is lifted. If frying in a Dutch oven place pieces of chicken in hot oil and fry until light brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
For the garlic mixture:
1) In a small bowl, add the garlic, yellow onion, 3/4 tbsp of minced spring onion, the peppers, salt and garlic powder and toss to thoroughly combine.
2) Place 1 tbsp of hot chili oil and 1 tsp of sesame oil into a hot wok or saute pan over medium to high heat. Immediately put 4 tbsp of the garlic mixture and about 100g of the chopped spring onion into the oil, stirring with a spoon to lightly cook the garlic mixture, being careful not to brown.
3) Add one quarter of the fried chicken and toss to cover with the sauce. Finish with a pinch of garlic salt. Toss once more and serve. Repeat with the remaining chicken.