Prawn sushi rolls
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time15 mins
For the rice
For the filling
1) Mix together vinegar, sugar, and salt.
2) Rinse the rice with cool water in a colander and drain. Put the rice and water in a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to very low and simmer the rice, tightly covered. (For a good seal, wrap the pan's lid tightly with a small kitchen towel and cover the saucepan. Make sure the towel's edges are folded up well away from the heat.) Cook the rice until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat (do not uncover), and set aside for 10 minutes.
3) Fluff the rice with a fork and transfer to a large bowl. Add the vinegar mixture and toss with a wooden spoon. Spread the rice out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Fan the rice continuously with a fan or magazine until cooled. Cover the rice with a damp towel.
To assemble rolls:
1) Place the sushi mat with the slats running crosswise directly in front of you on a clean work space. Lay a sheet of nori shiny-side down and lined up with the closest edge of the mat. Light moisten fingers with water, and evenly press about 1/4 of the rice onto the nori, with 3cm uncovered at the far edge. Line up the fillings about 2cm from the closest near edge, evenly across the rice. Leave 2cm of rice uncovered at the far edge.
2) Beginning with the near edge of the mat, tightly roll up the nori, rice, and fillings into a cylinder. Firmly tug on the rounded mat over the roll as you pull on the far edge of the mat to tighten the roll.
3) Open the mat, dab unsealed edge of nori with a bit of water and roll the sushi forward to seal. Transfer the sushi to a plate and cover with damp paper towels. Repeat with remaining rice and fillings.
4) Cut each sushi roll, crosswise, into 8 pieces with a sharp wet knife. Serve with bowl of soy sauce for dipping.
Other recipes with rice
Parma Ham, Avocado and Cucumber Sushi Bites
Gorgonzola and porcini mushroom risotto
Rolled Shoulder of Lamb with Christmas Pudding Stuffing
Tandoori Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Bowl
Pepper Steak and Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms
Japanese vegetable and rice stuffed tofu: Inari sushi
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
The Best Of Man V. Food
From visiting America's greatest pig-out spots to taking on the most legendary eating challenges, Adam Richman has sampled some incredible dishes. Relive some of his favourite mouth-watering moments.
Man V. Food: Hall Of Fame
Food enthusiast Casey Webb travels across the U.S. in search of the country’s ultimate eating challenges. From his most memorable BBQ dishes to his favourite desserts, Casey counts down some of his greatest feasts.
Worst Cooks In America
A batch of hopeless cooks are put through a rigorous culinary boot camp with the chance of winning an enticing cash prize at the end. Can these kitchen disasters be transformed into kitchen masters?
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge samples the best pub food the UK has to offer and demonstrates how to make hearty dishes inspired by British pub classics, from the comfort of your own home.
Man Fire Food
Roger Mooking travels across the USA to visit home cooks, pitmasters, and chefs who use inventive ways to cook with fire.
Chef Nancy Fuller gathers the best the land has to offer and feeds her friends and family classic, farm fresh meals.
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Kids Baking Championship
A group of talented junior bakers compete in a series of very creative challenges to win the title of Kids Baking Champion and the $25,000 grand prize.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Luke Nguyen's Asian Food Trail
Chef and restauranteur Luke Nguyen pushes for perfection with all his food. Explore as he traces his life and culinary career from where it all started in Sydney, moving to Saigon and onto Hong Kong.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Spots And Stripes Forever
The 11 remaining young bakers are challenged to make mini cheesecakes with colourful animal prints, from tiger to zebra – who will impress the judges?
Adam is in Tennessee to taste succulent baby back ribs that have been charcoal smoked for 14 hours. And, he is challenged to finish a humongous smoked meat sandwich.
Adam samples a half-pound filet of fresh hogfish topped with sauteed mushrooms and melted cheese. Plus, Adam is given an hour to eat 180 raw oysters.
Luke visits his top three traditional pho restaurants in Saigon. He goes behind the scenes at his cooking school and cooks a simple pho noodle recipe.
Luke travels by boat to a stylish restaurant in Saigon. Chef Adrian Scott demonstrates how to make a delicious salad with fried chicken wontons.
Bakin' With Bacon
12 young bakers are competing to impress the judges with their bacon cupcakes. They must use their assigned ingredient in a creative way for a chance to win.
From peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and chicken nuggets to a turkey wrap, the bakers must turn common lunchbox foods into lookalike dessert masterpieces.
Out Of This World
Duff and Valerie bring the galaxy into the kitchen by asking the five kid bakers to make imaginative intergalactic desserts that include freeze-dried ingredients!
Sand Castle Sweets
To earn a place in the finale, the remaining four kid bakers are challenged to create a cereal treat sand castle filled with two different baked goods.
Cake And Ice Cream 2.0
Duff and Valerie challenge the nine remaining kid bakers to work with the classic combination of cake and ice cream to create unique desserts.
Doughnuts Go Nuts
Valerie and Duff ask the eight kid bakers to work in teams to create two different types of doughnuts that come together in one unified design.
Pizza For Dessert
Duff and Valerie have a special delivery for the 11 kid bakers. They challenge them to use their creativity and turn pizza into a dessert.
Duff and Valerie have citrus-based challenge for the 10 kid bakers. They are tasked with creating lemon bar desserts that highlight its zingy flavour.
Duff Goldman and Valerie Bertinelli challenge the eight kid bakers to use their imaginations to create a unicorn cake that illustrates a specific emotion.
Judges Duff Goldman and Valerie Bertinelli surprise the 12 kid bakers for their first challenge. They must make layered, tiered, stacked and decorated cookie cakes!
Cover Story Cakes
There’s a special event happening for the finale where the contestants must create a 10th birthday cake for a major magazine. Who will take home the $25,000 prize?
Nadiya serves up indulgent dishes for treat days. On the menu are a ham and cheese crown, creamy spinach and paneer kati rolls, and sticky syrup sponge balls.
Nadiya makes dishes that are ideal for surprise visitors. They include radish ceviche with avocado and toasted sourdough, and crunchy chaat in a bag.
Wind Down Weekends
Nadiya makes tasty wind-down weekend dishes. On the menu are a smoky spinach shakshuka, a quick and easy squid risotto, and a family twist on Sunday lunch.