Pulled Pork Indian Shepherd's Pie
- Cooking Time160 mins
For the Pulled Pork
For the Sauce
For the Potato Topping
1. Preheat the oven to 130°C. Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the pork on all sides.
2. Take it out of the pan and put it to one side while you fry the cassia bark and the cardamom for a few seconds and add the red onion and the red chilli, broken into two or three pieces, leaving some of the seeds out and fry until brown and add the chopped ginger.
3. In a small bowl, combine the chilli powder, ground cumin and ground coriander, add 100 to 200ml of water and make it into a paste, for ultimate flavour, let it soak for about half an hour beforehand and then add to the pan.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes to the pan and mix well and make sure the tomatoes are cooked well and then add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
5. Add the fresh coriander and then add the pork back to the pan. Transfer to oven and cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the pork is really soft and pulling apart. When cooked to absolute softness, remove the meat onto a tray and strain the juices.
6. After the pork has cooled, strip if off the bone by shredding it with your hands or a fork and spoon and add it back to the sauce.
7. For the mash, drain and mash the potatoes until smooth, beat in the other ingredients. Carefully spoon and then level unevenly the mashed potato on top and bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes, until you get a great nicely browned crust and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Cyrus Todiwala