Pumpkin and Rosemary Muffins
- Cooking Time25 mins
1. To cook the pumpkin, dice into cubes and place in a pan with just enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and pop on a lid, slightly askew. Boil/steam for 5–10 minutes and top up with water if needed. Drain and use.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6.
3. Cut out 12 squares of baking paper measuring about 14 x 14cm. Oil a 12-hole muffin tin and push the squares down into each hole so the paper sticks up just like the muffins you can buy in the coffee shop. The squares have a habit of popping up out of the holes, which is OK for now as once the muffin mix is spooned inside the squares will stay down. Alternatively, use ready-made paper muffin cases.
4. In a large bowl, sift the flours, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, stir in the salt and rosemary. If there is any wholegrain left in the sieve from the wholemeal flour, keep this for the topping.
5. In a medium bowl, put the rest of the ingredients, apart from a third of the pumpkin, and stir well so all the liquid is well combined.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and, using a large spoon and no more than 8 turns, mix all the ingredients together. It does not take much to over-mix muffins at this stage and although the end result will still taste sublime the texture will not be as tender.
7. Leave the mixture to stand for 5 minutes, then spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
8. Sprinkle the wholegrain, reserved pumpkin and the pumpkin seeds over the muffins. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the muffins are well risen and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Good for breakfast, good for lunch and good for just about any time of the day for a snack. For canapés these can made in mini muffin cases.
Recipe courtesy of Lorraine Pascale, Baking Made Easy HarperCollins, 2012 (£20) Photography courtesy of Myles New
Other recipes with egg
Tofu Skewers With Walnut Pesto
Italian Burger with Caramelised Onions
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Tenderstem Bubble and Squeak with Caramelised Onions, Crisp Bacon and Eggs
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese and Asparagus Tart
Thai Red Curry Scotch Eggs
Spanish Baked Eggs
Chocolate Chunk Blondies
Chocolate and Raspberry Tart
Chocolate Salted Caramel Marble Cake
Iced Easter Biscuits
Lyle's® Easter Egg Cake Pops
Giant Easter Egg Cookie
Welsh Wine, Goat's Cheese, Leek and Parma Ham Tart
Roasted Rhubarb and Almond Tartlets
Wholemeal Pancakes with Parma Ham, Ricotta, Rocket and Pesto
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Delivery: Frozen Fiasco
Three chefs must turn ice cold ingredients into dishes that the judges deem hot, daring, and delicious. The winner gets a chance to win up to $20,000.
The six bakers reinvent Michigan's bumpy cake using the featured flavour of cherries. And, they make a Missouri favourite, mini gooey butter cakes.
Delivery: High-End at Home
Guy and Hunter invite three chefs to prepare restaurant-quality finest at home using Flavor Market’s finest ingredients. Who will win?
Ainsley cooks dishes inspired by the delights of the seaside. Plus, he joins expert forager Alysia Vasey to find out what edible treats are growing on our shorelines.
Delivery: DDD Guilty Pleasures
Guy and Hunter Fieri send GGG delivery boxes to three chefs competing in their own joints to see who makes the best guilty pleasures. Who will win?
Mary is given special access to see how Heathrow Airport’s restaurants feed the millions of busy passengers who pass through the terminals each year.
Mary visits London’s West End to discover the secrets to feeding busy commuters and demanding tourists. Her first stop is to try traditional pastries at a famous bakery.
Delivery: All-Star Noodles
Three all-star chefs compete in a home kitchen noodle competition. Each chef flips a coin to determine whether they use high or low-priced items.
Mary boards one of the Royal Navy’s mightiest warships, the HMS Defender. As the crew take part in a war training exercise, Mary helps out the hard-working kitchen team.
Mary explores the bustling food markets in Marrakech, Morocco. Back in the kitchen, she prepares lamb tagine, a spicy carrot hummus and a fresh summer salad.
Guy and Hunter Fieri turn three GGG judges into competitors in their own kitchens. Each chef receives the ingredients to make a lumberjack breakfast.
Mary is in Dorset to attend her first-ever music festival! She explores the variety of food stalls on offer and later rocks out on stage with singer Rick Astley.
Mary begins her culinary adventure in Rome, where she witnesses some speedy pasta makers in action. Plus, she meets a daring chef who has reinvented the traditional pizza.
Brooklyn, New York
Casey Webb’s quest takes him to Brooklyn for a barbeque and deli feast. Plus, he samples an Italian seafood staple and takes on a spicy shrimp challenge.
Newark, New Jersey
Casey Webb heads to go home state, New Jersey! He samples an iconic Italian hot dog, a Portuguese pork sandwich and takes part in a taco challenge.
Delivery: DDD OGs
Guy and Hunter Fieri send out a big box of groceries to three diner chefs. They must make a classic takeaway dish using an unusual kitchen gadget.
The Northern Plains
The seven bakers put their own spin on South Dakota’s kuchen. Then for the bake-off challenge they make a new dessert with Minnesota’s scotcheroo ingredients.
From Europe To Asia
Guy finds righteous ramen in Millcreek, Utah, artichoke parmesan soup in Grand Junction, Colorado, and stuffed cabbage and schnitzel in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Delivery: One Box Only
Guy and Hunter send only one box of groceries to three winning chefs. They must use the same 15 items in both a hot lunch and Sunday supper.