Red Velvet Cake
- Preparation Time5 mins
- Cooking Time30 mins
For the cake
For the frosting
1. For the cake: Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray; dust with flour, and tap out the excess.
2. Whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Stir together the hot water and cocoa powder in a small bowl until smooth; let cool slightly. Stir together the milk and vinegar in another small bowl, and let stand until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Whisk together the oil, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Whisk in the red food coloring and the cocoa mixture. Alternate whisking in the flour mixture in three additions and the milk in two, starting and ending with the flour, until just combined. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pans, turn out onto cooling racks and let cool completely.
5. For the frosting: While the cake layers are cooling, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed in a large bowl until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until smooth. Increase the speed to high, and beat until very fluffy and there is no gritty texture left from the sugar. Beat in the milk to adjust the consistency if the frosting seems too thick.
6. To assemble: Place one cake layer bottom-side down on a cake plate. Top with 1 cup of the frosting, and spread to the edge. Top with the second layer, and frost the top and sides with the remaining frosting. If the frosting becomes too soft while assembling the cake, briefly chill the cake and frosting and then finish frosting.
7. You can bake the cake layers the day before assembling and serving the cake; wrap them in plastic wrap and then foil, and store at room temperature. Or you can bake and assemble the cake the day before, refrigerate it overnight and let stand at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Slow-Cooker Healthy Cranberry-Pecan Oatmeal Porridge
Healthy "Tortilla Soup" Oatmeal
Vegan Sourdough Stuffing with Wild Mushrooms and Walnuts
Vegan Quinoa-Cranberry Stuffed Acorn Squash
Loaded Vegan Hummus Bowls
Grilled Salami and Cheese Bites with Spicy Honey
Healthy Oatmeal with Matcha Yoghurt, Pistachios and Apples
Fudgy Vegan Brownies
Vegan Sugar Cookies
Healthy Oatmeal, Date and Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Vegan Baked Beans
Mini Sandwich Buffet: Mini Grilled Cheese and Tomato, Mini Rachael's and Mini Spicy Patty Melts
Air Fryer Chilli-Garlic Tofu with Green Beans
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Tom Aiken's Gravy
Italian Roast Potatoes
Broccoli and French Beans
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.