- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time30 mins
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Pack the apples into a large frying pan with a metal handle, presentation side down. Pack the apples tightly because they shrink during cooking.
3. Dot the apples with butter, sprinkle on the sugar and spices.
4. Place the pan onto the heat and shake gently while the butter and sugar caramelise.
5. Splash on the juice of 1 lemon, this adds pectin and thickens the caramel; do not brown the caramel too much.
6. Simmer gently for about 5-10 minutes and then let the apples cool down.
7. Now lightly flour a cool surface and roll out the pastry about 5mm thick.
8. Cut a circle to fit the top of the pan.
9. Place the pastry on top of the apples and tuck it around them. Make a few little slits in the pastry to allow the steam to escape, now you can bake the tart for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the filling is bubbling.
10. Remove the tart from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
11. When you are ready to serve the tart run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the pastry.
12. Cover with a plate large enough to cover the tart and make sure you are holding them tightly, now invert the pan and plate together remove the tart.