Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Welsh Rarebit
Roast your cauliflower to add a deeper flavour to this vegetarian soup.
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time75 mins
For the cauliflower soup
For the Welsh rarebit
1) Heat the oven to 175°C / gas mark 3. Divide the cauliflower into florets and put in an ovenproof pan, then add the broccoli. Drizzle with some olive oil and toss to coat.
2) Cut the onion into wedges and wrap in a bit of foil with the cloves of garlic. Put the foil packet in the same pan as the cauliflower and bake the vegetables for about 30 to 45 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft.
3) Move the cauliflower and broccoli to a large saucepan, setting aside half a dozen florets of cauliflower for the rarebit. Remove the garlic from the foil packet and then add the onion to the pot. Dice the potatoes and add them.
4) Cover the vegetables with the stock and water, and simmer on medium heat until the potatoes are completely soft, about 20 to 30 minutes.
5) Use a handheld blender to mix the soup until smooth. Add the cream, crumble in the Gorgonzola cheese and season with salt and cayenne pepper. Serve with the Welsh rarebit.
1) In a saucepan, melt the cheddar with the milk, making sure not to let the milk boil. Once melted, add the flour, breadcrumbs, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and keep stirring until well mixed. Set aside to cool completely.
2) Once the mixture is cool, place it in a blender, add the eggs and blend. Refrigerate for four hours.
3) Toast the bread lightly and spoon over the cheese mixture, adding the remaining roast cauliflower. Place under a hot grill until golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.