Rosella ginger pecan torte
- Preparation Time480 mins
For the cake
For the ginger syrup
For the meringue dacquoise
For the ginger marmalade
For the ginger chocolate ganache
For the washed cream
1) Beat butter, vanilla and sugar till light and fluffy add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
2) Add sifted flour, salt, baking powder and powdered ginger.
3) Follow in order given with the wet ingredients. Mix two minutes on medium speed this gives sufficient time to activate the flour.
4) Pour batter into two 25cm pans that have been greased floured and parchment lined.
5) Bake 45 minutes in 180 degrees C cool for 20 minutes then turn onto a cooling rack and pour over ginger syrup.
6) Check the oven after thirty minutes.For the ginger syrup:
1) Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and 6 tablespoons water, simmer together until sugar dissolves, cool completely then add 8 tablespoons ginger wine.For the meringue dacquoise:
1) Draw two 25cm circles on parchment, place on oven tray.
2) The flour, potato flour, vanilla extract and cocoa can be sifted together.
3) Whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add the sifted powdered sugar in three stages mixing well between each addition. Add the nuts followed by the dry ingredients. Fold in with a light hand.
4) Spoon into the circles, level and bake 180 degrees C for 20 minutes or until a light golden brown.For the ginger marmalade:
1) Heat the baby ginger marmalade, lemon juice, water and butter gently in a double boiler.
2) Puree in the food processor, strain.
3) Add the ginger wine after completely cooling.For the ginger chocolate ganache:
1) Melt chocolate over hot, not boiling water, add cream, ginger and pecans, last, after cooling add 3 tablespoons Stone's ginger wine. Stir well and allow the mixture to thicken.For the washed cream:
1) Whip all ingredients until light and fluffy.
2) Remove bowl from mixer.
3) Cover with chilled water swirl and squeeze through the fingers for a minute, drain the water thoroughly and re-beat until light and fluffy.
4) Repeat six times till the mixture is pure white and the sugar is totally dissolved.
5) This keeps very well covered in a cool place without refrigeration.
6) Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to a month.For the assembly:
1) Level cakes if necessary.
2) Secure wax paper to the cake board with royal icing.
3) Place meringue dacquoise on wax paper.
4) Smooth on a layer of washed cream, chocolate ganache and the ginger marmalade to the meringue disc.
5) Top with one of the cakes. Repeat the layers of washed cream, ganache, ginger marmalade and the second meringue disc, top that with washed cream, ganache and ginger marmalade then add the second cake.
6) Trim the meringue discs if necessary.
7) Coat the entire cake with washed cream then strained ginger marmalade.
8) Cover tightly and securely with plastic wrap for twenty-four hours. Chill in the refrigerator.
9) Remove the wrap and cover with white chocolate rolled fondant.