- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time75 mins
2) Heat the oil in the pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook, covered, until the vegetables begin to soften, about eight minutes. Raise the heat to moderately-high. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and their liquid has evaporated, about eight minutes longer.
3) Return the meat to the pan. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for two minutes. Stir in the stock, half a teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and bring to a simmer, being sure to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the peas.
4) Pour the mixture into a three-litre shallow baking dish (about 28cm by 22cm). Preheat the oven to 180°C/ gas mark 4.
5) Scrub the potatoes and cut into 5cm pieces. Arrange the potatoes in a steamer basket, and steam for ten minutes. Add the cauliflower to the basket and cook until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 15 minutes longer.
6) Mash the vegetables with a potato masher until smooth. Heat the milk, butter, the remaining salt and a pinch of pepper and stir into the potato mixture. Spread the mixture on top of the meat and bake until heated through, about 25 minutes.
Calories 340; Total Fat 9g; (Sat Fat 4g, Mono Fat 3.5g, Poly Fat 1g); Protein 24g; Carb 42g; Fibre 7g; Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 540mg
Excellent source of: Protein, Fibre, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Folate, Vitamin K, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Potassium, Zinc
Good source of: Thiamin, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus