Slaughter's Summer Fruit Tarts
For the crème patisserie
For the pastry
1. For the crème patisserie: Whisk together the milk and vanilla seeds and warm in the microwave. Do not allow it to boil.
2. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until pale yellow and has the consistency of custard. Whisk in flour and cornflour and pour on hot milk to mixture, beating all the time.
3. Return to microwave and cook in short bursts, stopping the microwave to beat every 30 seconds. Repeat until you achieve a thick custard consistency.
4. Cool over a bowl of ice if you haven't got the time to cool overnight.
5. For the pastry: Rub the butter into the flour until it resemble breadcrumbs. Mix in the egg and caster sugar together and combine to form a pliable dough. Cover with cling film and and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Roll out the pastry and cut into rounds large enough to fit inside your 12 tart tins.
7. Blind bake for 20-25 minutes. When cool, fill with crème patisserie and top with fresh summer fruits. Decorate with icing sugar.
Recipe courtesy of Yorkshire Tea