Smothered chicken and scones
- Preparation Time25 mins
- Cooking Time45 mins
For the scones
1) Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Combine the flour and house seasoning in a shallow dish. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.
2) Add the chicken to the hot oil and brown on each side. Remove from the pan. Add the vegetables to the pan and saute until tender.
3) Return the chicken to the pan and add the water. Cover and cook until tender, approximately 25 minutes.
For the house seasoning:
1) Mix all the ingredients together. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
For the scones:
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar and shortening. Stir in the milk and mix together until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
2) The dough will be sticky so dust the work surface with additional flour. Turn the dough out onto the floured surface. Gently fold each side toward the centre, pick up the dough and dust the work surface with additional flour. Return the dough to the floured surface and fold each side towards the centre again.
3) Turn the dough over and press it out to 2.5cm thick. Cut out the scones, using a 5cm round biscuit cutter.
4) Melt 2 tbsp of butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Spread 1 tbsp on a 25cm round cake tin and arrange the scones in the pan. Brush the tops with the remaining butter and set the tin aside to rest for 15 minutes before baking.
5) Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve with the chicken.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore we cannot make representation as to the results.