Boxed cake mix becomes an extra-special wintry dessert with the help of some marshmallows, chocolate and peppermint creams.
- Preparation Time25 mins
- Cooking Time25 mins
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 175°C. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake until done according to the directions.
3. Cool the cupcakes on a rack in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove them from the tin. Cool on the rack completely before decorating.
4. Meanwhile, combine the butter, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl if using a handheld electric mixer). Mix on low speed until mostly incorporated. Add the vanilla, increase the speed to medium-high and mix until smooth. Adjust the consistency with milk as desired.
5. Fit a large pastry bag with a 1/3-inch diameter plain round tip or snip the tip of a large resealable plastic bag to make a 1/3-inch diameter hole, and fill the bag with icing. When the cupcakes are cool, hold the bag vertically with the tip pointing down at the center of each cupcake, and pipe a mound of icing onto each cupcake without lifting or moving the bag, so that the icing spreads to the edges, then finally lift the bag to form a mound on top.
6. Fit a small pastry bag with a small plain pastry tip, or use a small resealable plastic bag. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until just melted. Transfer the chocolate to the prepared bag. If using the plastic bag, snip the very tip off so you can pipe the desired size.
7. Pipe two dots for eyes on one flat side of each marshmallow, and a row of five dots for a smile. Pipe a little bit of frosting on top of the marshmallow head to glue the peppermint patty on top. Place a dot of chocolate on top of the patty hat to form a button. Place each decorated marshmallow "head" on the center of each mound of icing. Pipe 3 chocolate dots under the head to form buttons. Pipe two arms coming out of the snowman shoulders.
Copyright 2016 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchen
Other recipes with chocolate
Hot Chocolate Pancakes
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Red Hot Santa Tini
S'mores Delight - Christmas Special
Christmas Cookie Cocktail
White Chocolate Egg Nog
Chocolate Cheesecake Candy Cane Bars
John Whaite's Cranberry, Chocolate and Pecan Biscotti
White Chocolate Buche De Noel
Chocolate and Orange Christmas Cake
Lyle's® Choc-Chestnut Pots
Cinnamon and Vanilla Pod Hot Chocolate
Damaris' Orange-Chocolate Bars
Hoppin' hot scotch
Hot Cocoa and Homemade Marshmallows
Minted hot chocolate
Caramel, Chocolate and Candy Apples
Marzipan Pumpkin Truffles
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Holiday Baking Championship: Gingerbread Showdown
Teams tackle themed gingerbread build challenges for a prize worth $10,000.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking
Gordon Ramsay shares his top recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Duff Goldman challenges talented bakers from across America to a spooky baking competition. These experts go head to head to see who can impress the judges with their edible Halloween creations for a chance to win the $10,000 prize.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Beasts And Bourbon
Four chefs are challenged to make a meal using high rye bourbon and bison ribeye. Later, they must create a dessert featuring chunky blue cheese dressing.
Guy Fieri brings together four all-star chefs to test their burger-making prowess. In one round, they must make an over-the-top burger and fries combo.
GGG Winning Teams
Winning teams from previous competitions are back for another culinary battle. In one game, they must shop without carts for their surf and turf ingredients.
GGG Winners And Their Dads
Four winners are joined by their fathers to take on Guy’s culinary challenges. The team who emerges victorious will win a prize worth up to $20,000.
Big Budget Bonanza
Four chefs take on Guy Fieri’s brutal budget bonanza. In one round, a wheel determines what ingredients the chefs can use for their breakfast creations.
Five-Dollar Price Check
Guy Fieri challenges four talented chefs to only shop for ingredients under $5. The most budget-savvy chef will win a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Allegra is in Antalya to sample a traditional Turkish breakfast, before exploring one the city’s largest markets. Later, she cooks prawns Halicarnassus.
Allegra continues her culinary adventure in Aydin, where she meets one of Turkey’s largest olive oil producers. Plus, she shares her recipe for poached quince.
Here To Persevere!
Host Ted Allen challenges four chefs to make an appetiser using cocktail fruit slices, canned clam sauce and sausage-stuffed pancakes on sticks.
Grandma Grocery Games
Guy Fieri welcomes four grandmothers to show off their culinary skills. In one round, they must cook their most requested family dish.
All ABC Games
Guy Fieri invites chefs to compete in three rounds featuring seafood and fried ingredients. The winner will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
All-Stars' Full Meal
Celebrity chefs take on three-course meal challenges. In one round, the chefs must include a special ingredient of Guy's choosing in their international dish.
Guy Fieri welcomes three couples to take on his culinary games. In one round, the loved-up duos must work against the clock to make a wedding dinner.
Pro Athletes And Judges
Guy invites three professional athletes to test their culinary skills. In one round, the sporting stars must shop for their ingredients while blindfolded.
Allegra travels to the Aegean coast and explores the diet of Turkey’s past. Back at home, she feels inspired to make a tasty artichoke and sausage salad.
Allegra heads to the vibrant city of Bursa and explores the morning food markets. Later, she learns from the grandson of the man who invented the doner kebab.
Three teams of chefs represent their restaurants as they compete in two action-packed rounds. The winning team will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to get creative and assemble tasty sandwiches. The chef who has the most skill between two slices of bread will win up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri gives four home cooks a chance to prove their culinary skills. The rookie who best rises to the challenge will win a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.