Spicy Sweet Potato Pasties
- Preparation Time25 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the Pastry
For the Filling
1. For the pastry, place the butter in the freezer for about 20 minutes until very hard. Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl. Working quickly, hold the butter using a piece of baking parchment and coarsley grate it into the flour. Stir the butter and flour together, sprinkle with about 6 tbsp very cold water and mix to make a dough, adding a little more water if needed. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for about 30 minutes.
2. To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion for about 5-8 minutes until really softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Stir in the spices, combine well then tip in the sweet potato.
3. Add the tomato pure?e and cook for 1 minute before adding the chopped tomatoes and about 150ml water. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until the sauce is thickened and the sweet potato is softened but still holding its shape. Set aside to cool.
4. When ready to make the pasties, roll out half of the pastry (it's easier to handle if you do it half at a time). Using a saucer, cut out a disc measuring 18cm in diameter. Repeat with the remaining pastry until you have 6 discs.
5. Stir the coriander into the sweet potato mixture. Spoon a heaped tablespoon of the mixture onto one side of each pastry disc and top with a spoonful of the ricotta. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little beaten egg then fold over to make a half moon shape. Seal the edges either with a fork or by pinching the pastry with your finger and thumb. Place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
6. Brush the top of each pasty with a little more beaten egg and sprinkle with nigella seeds. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and crispy. Delicious served with a simple mixed leaf salad and French dressing.
Recipe courtesy of Waitrose
Other recipes with potato
Italian Roast Potatoes
30 Minute Shepherd's Pie
30-Minute Spicy Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
15-Minute Meatloaf Melts
Slow-Cooker German Potato Salad
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Mesa Grill Potato Salad
Lighter Smoky New Potato Salad
Gorgonzola, Steak, Guinness and Potato Pie
Sausage and Mash
Shepherd's Pie with Cauliflower Mash
Sweet Potato and Goat’s Cheese Samosas
The Ultimate Turkey Gobbler Sandwich with Cranberry Mayo
Turkey and Brussels Bubble and Squeak
Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips and Brussels Sprouts
Spicy Dauphinoise Potatoes
Winter Vegetable Soup
Rainbow Fries with Grainy Mustard Aioli
Roasted Baby Turnips with Miso Butter and Fried Eggs
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.