Stout and Pecan Pie
- Cooking Time65 mins
For the pastry:
For the filling:
To make the pastry:
1. Place the flour and icing sugar into a bowl and mix well. Add the butter; rub in lightly with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add the egg yolk and 2 tbsp water. Stir into the mixture with a round bladed knife adding an extra tbsp of water if required.
3. When the dough begins to stick together, gently knead it into a smooth ball. Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
4. Heat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm thick and use it to line a 23cm loose bottom round tart tin, leaving a little excess pastry hanging over the edge.
5. Line the pastry case with a sheet of baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 12–15 minutes, until the pastry is dry to the touch, then remove the parchment and baking beans and return the pastry case to the oven for about 5 minutes until it is very lightly coloured.
6. Use a small, sharp knife to trim away the excess pastry from the edge.
7. Place the pecans on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes at 160°C to toast lightly and bring out the flavour. Leave to cool.
8. Take 50g of the pecans and chop finely. Increase the oven temperature to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
To make the filling:
1. Place the chocolate, butter, sugar and treacle in a pan. Heat gently until the butter and sugar have melted.
2. Add the chopped pecans and stir. Leave to cool.
3. Once cooled add the porter, eggs and double cream. Pour into the cooked pastry case. Arrange the remaining pecans in concentric circles to form a pattern on top of the filling.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the filling is risen and just set. Leave to cool in the tin then remove and serve with ice cream or cream.
Other recipes with chocolate
Eight-Flavor Sheet Pan Brownie-Cookie Bars
Rainbow Unicorn Brownies
Rainbow Fruit Skewers
Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
Chocolate Chunk Blondies
Chocolate and Raspberry Tart
Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies with Maldon Sea Salt
Chocolate Salted Caramel Marble Cake
Chocolate Raspberry Biscuit Cake
Super-Chocolate Sundae Cake Bar
Waffled Chocolate Chip Cookies
Butterscotch Bird Nests
Lemon Macaroon Chicks
Little Lamb Pull-Apart Cupcakes
Chocolate Stout Bundt Cake
Easy Key Lime Ice Cream Meringue Cheesecake
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Delivery: All-Star Noodles
Three all-star chefs compete in a home kitchen noodle competition. Each chef flips a coin to determine whether they use high or low-priced items.
Mary boards one of the Royal Navy’s mightiest warships, the HMS Defender. As the crew take part in a war training exercise, Mary helps out the hard-working kitchen team.
Mary explores the bustling food markets in Marrakech, Morocco. Back in the kitchen, she prepares lamb tagine, a spicy carrot hummus and a fresh summer salad.
Guy and Hunter Fieri turn three GGG judges into competitors in their own kitchens. Each chef receives the ingredients to make a lumberjack breakfast.
Mary is in Dorset to attend her first-ever music festival! She explores the variety of food stalls on offer and later rocks out on stage with singer Rick Astley.
Mary begins her culinary adventure in Rome, where she witnesses some speedy pasta makers in action. Plus, she meets a daring chef who has reinvented the traditional pizza.
Brooklyn, New York
Casey Webb’s quest takes him to Brooklyn for a barbeque and deli feast. Plus, he samples an Italian seafood staple and takes on a spicy shrimp challenge.
Newark, New Jersey
Casey Webb heads to go home state, New Jersey! He samples an iconic Italian hot dog, a Portuguese pork sandwich and takes part in a taco challenge.
Delivery: DDD OGs
Guy and Hunter Fieri send out a big box of groceries to three diner chefs. They must make a classic takeaway dish using an unusual kitchen gadget.
The Northern Plains
The seven bakers put their own spin on South Dakota’s kuchen. Then for the bake-off challenge they make a new dessert with Minnesota’s scotcheroo ingredients.
From Europe To Asia
Guy finds righteous ramen in Millcreek, Utah, artichoke parmesan soup in Grand Junction, Colorado, and stuffed cabbage and schnitzel in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Delivery: One Box Only
Guy and Hunter send only one box of groceries to three winning chefs. They must use the same 15 items in both a hot lunch and Sunday supper.
Delivery: All-Star Holiday
Guy and Hunter recruit three all-star chefs to play holiday games in their home kitchens. The chefs must cook up two different seasonal dishes.
Delivery: All-Star Hanukkah
Guy and his son, Hunter send ingredients and food challenges for a Hanukkah competition at home. They must turn eight leftover items into a meal.
Classic And Comfort
Guy Fieri's comfort-filled joy ride takes him to Draper, Utah, for fried chicken and grits and then heads to Nashville for vegan chorizo.
Tacos, Tots And Chops
Guy Fieri's enjoying a real deal Reuben in Grand Junction, Colorado, next-level tacos in Salt Lake City and Middle Eastern specialties in Nashville.
Delivery: Double Trouble
Guy Fieri and his son, Hunter send three all-star chefs two boxes of groceries and challenge them to reinvent classic food duos!
Inspired by a visit to the Caledonian Forest in Scotland, Mary makes some hearty meals. She shares her recipes for a warming hotpot and a tasty puff pastry tart.
Mary begins her culinary exploration of Yorkshire by sampling some classic dishes in the ancient seaport of Whitby. Later, she visits a world-renowned smokehouse.