- Preparation Time50 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the cupcakes
For the vanilla cream filling
For the peanut butter icing
2) Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour and milk, alternately, into the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Add the vanilla and continue to beat until well mixed. Divide the batter equally among the papers, filling them about three quarters of the way up. Level the batter by dropping muffin pan on counter top to release the air bubbles.
3) Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes and then remove the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
4) With an electric mixer, cream the vegetable fat and butter together. Add icing sugar and granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla essence. Gradually beat in corn syrup. Continue beating until the mixture has thickened to a mayonnaise-like consistency, about 3 minutes.
5) When the cupcakes have cooled completely, fill a pastry bag, fitted with a medium-small plain, round tip with the vanilla filling. With a sharp, paring knife, cut a cross down into the centre of each cupcake from the top, about 2.5cm deep. Insert the tip of the pastry bag into the cross and gently squeeze about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the vanilla filling into the centre of each cupcake. Wipe away any vanilla filling that oozes out when you remove the tip from the cupcake.
6) Cream the butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar and salt together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla essence and double cream. Gradually beat in the icing sugar.
7) Ice the vanilla filled cupcakes with a butter knife or from a large star-tipped pastry bag.