Sweet German Dumplings (Dampfnudel)
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the filling:
For the cooking liquid:
For the custard:
1. Place the milk and butter in a small pan and heat gently so the butter melts and the milk is warm.
2. Drain the cherries form the syrup and heat the syrup in a pan with the caster sugar.
3. Mix the cornflour with a little water to slacken then add to the warm syrup in the pan. Heat until it begins to boil and thickens. Remove from the heat and add the cherries.
4. Place the flour in a large bowl, add the yeast to one side and the sugar and salt to the other. Crack the egg into the middle and gradually add the warm milk and butter (make sure the milk is warm and not hot). Using your hand bring the mixture together until a soft dough is formed.
5. Place on a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until you have a smooth dough. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover and leave to prove until doubled in size, this will take between 1 and 3 hours.
6. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divided into 6 equal pieces. Place three or four cherries in the middle of each ball and bring the dough up around them and pinch the top to seal.
7. Place the balls onto a work surface with pinched bit now on the bottom. Gently roll into a ball. Place on a tray and leave to prove for 10 minutes.
8. Take a large casserole pan and heat very gently, add the butter so it begins to melt, add the salt and sugar. Take the dumplings and begin by placing one in the centre of the pan then place the remaining ones around the edge leaving space between them to expand.
9. Pour in enough water so there is about 1 cm in the base of the pan. Cover and cook a low to medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
10. After this time remove the lid. If there is still liquid present increase the heat and cook for a further 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the base, they should be golden on the bottom, set on the top and have doubled in size.
11. While they are cooking make the custard. Split the vanilla pod in half and scrap out the seeds. Place it in a pan with the milk. Heat to just below boiling point.
12. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until well mixed. Pour the hot milk onto the egg yolk mixture and whisk continuously, return to the pan and on a very low heat simmer until the custard has thickened.
13. Don’t rush this and increase the heat or the custard will split.
14. To serve, remove the dumplings from the pan, dust with icing sugar and pour over the custard. You can serve any remaining cherries on the side.
Black Cherry Dampfnudel
Other recipes with egg
Choux Pastry Buns with Coffee and Caramelised Almonds
Chocolate stout and irish cream liqueur cupcakes
Sausage burger with spicy onion rings and humous
Chocolate Fondants with Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Parma Ham and Wild Mushroom Beef Wellington
Organic Figs with Goat's Cheese Cheesecake
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge samples the best pub food the UK has to offer and demonstrates how to make hearty dishes inspired by British pub classics, from the comfort of your own home.
Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking
Chef Gordon Ramsay is on a mission to prove it is possible to cook spectacular dishes at home. He shares his favourite easy recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with the help of his beautiful family.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Man Fire Food
Roger Mooking travels across the USA to visit home cooks, pitmasters, and chefs who use inventive ways to cook with fire.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Yum And Yummer
Eddie Jackson tracks down the yummiest dishes and cuisines around the world. From luxurious dinner and dessert to an epic midnight snack, Eddie shares the ins and outs of what makes these meals spectacular.
John Torode's Middle East
Chef John Torode sets out on a culinary journey of the Middle East to discover how so many communities have thrived there. He samples familiar favourites and new flavours that inspire him to create exciting dishes of his own.
Gok Cooks Chinese
Gok Wan celebrates the beauty and diversity of Chinese food by offering a modern take on the dishes he grew up on. He demonstrates how to make some of his favourite recipes that are quick, easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Spring Baking Championship
A group of America’s top bakers compete in several exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring. The baker who comes out on top will claim the title of Baking Champion and take home an amazing cash prize.
Donal Skehan shares his recipes for quick and easy meals that can be cooked in one pan. Dishes include Spanish veggie paella and a one-pot saltimbocca a la Romana.
Donal shows how to make meals in minutes to feed the family, using just six ingredients. Dishes include spaghetti aglio and olia and kimchi fried rice.
Donal Skehan serves up his favourite quick meals that are full of flavour. On the menu are delicious turkey chilli and a spicy harissa lamb stew.
Donal shares his recipes for delicious oven meals with minimal prep. On the menu are carrot & cumin pilaf rice and turmeric & ginger spatchcocked chicken.
Donal reveals how to make hassle-free dinners by using pre-prepped ingredients. On the menu are Mexican chicken & sweet corn soup and falafel quinoa salad bowl.
Donal shows how to make amazing meals after a quick shop for essentials. Dishes include soy & ginger fish with rice and beef stroganoff with tagliatelle.
In County Kilkenny, Donal Skehan visits a beekeeper before making an orange and honey polenta cake. He also serves up trout en papillote and cheese souffle.
Donal Skehan prepares a feast in County Galway, a place steeped in Irish folklore. He cooks braised lamb shanks with nettle mash and a dark chocolate polenta cake.
Donal Skehan shares his recipe for a mouth-watering soy and ginger fish meal. Plus, he cooks chicken adobo and beef stroganoff with tagliatelle.
Donal Skehan shares his recipe for a piri piri roast chicken dish that is packed with flavour. Plus, he cooks a comforting beef and Guinness stew.
Donal Skehan shares his four recipes for quick, simple and delicious meals using easy-to-find ingredients. On the menu is brown butter flattened chicken and more.
Donal Skehan shares his recipes for quick and delicious vegetarian meals. On the menu are baked gnocchi and a roast cauliflower platter with tahini yoghurt.
Donal Skehan shares four recipes for quick, simple and delicious lunchtime meals. On the menu is lemon and garlic chicken with red pepper hummus and herbed couscous.
Donal Skehan shares his recipes for quick, simple and delicious meals for hosting a dinner party. He makes char siu chicken with sesame and coriander salad.
Donal Skehan demonstrates a quick and easy way to make cauliflower mac and cheese. Plus, he shares his tasty recipe for basil butter grilled salmon.
Donal Skehan travels across Ireland to learn more about some of the country’s finest food producers. He then sets up kitchen to cook delicious dishes.
Donal Skehan shares his recipe for an easy-to-make Asian beef rib stew. Plus, he cooks a homely Irish stew with pearl barley and cheddar dumplings.
Donal Skehan shares his perfect midweek meals that will get food from the fridge to the table in minutes. He makes his delicious and simple pasta puttanesca.