Sweet German Dumplings (Dampfnudel)
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the filling:
For the cooking liquid:
For the custard:
1. Place the milk and butter in a small pan and heat gently so the butter melts and the milk is warm.
2. Drain the cherries form the syrup and heat the syrup in a pan with the caster sugar.
3. Mix the cornflour with a little water to slacken then add to the warm syrup in the pan. Heat until it begins to boil and thickens. Remove from the heat and add the cherries.
4. Place the flour in a large bowl, add the yeast to one side and the sugar and salt to the other. Crack the egg into the middle and gradually add the warm milk and butter (make sure the milk is warm and not hot). Using your hand bring the mixture together until a soft dough is formed.
5. Place on a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until you have a smooth dough. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover and leave to prove until doubled in size, this will take between 1 and 3 hours.
6. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divided into 6 equal pieces. Place three or four cherries in the middle of each ball and bring the dough up around them and pinch the top to seal.
7. Place the balls onto a work surface with pinched bit now on the bottom. Gently roll into a ball. Place on a tray and leave to prove for 10 minutes.
8. Take a large casserole pan and heat very gently, add the butter so it begins to melt, add the salt and sugar. Take the dumplings and begin by placing one in the centre of the pan then place the remaining ones around the edge leaving space between them to expand.
9. Pour in enough water so there is about 1 cm in the base of the pan. Cover and cook a low to medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
10. After this time remove the lid. If there is still liquid present increase the heat and cook for a further 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the base, they should be golden on the bottom, set on the top and have doubled in size.
11. While they are cooking make the custard. Split the vanilla pod in half and scrap out the seeds. Place it in a pan with the milk. Heat to just below boiling point.
12. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until well mixed. Pour the hot milk onto the egg yolk mixture and whisk continuously, return to the pan and on a very low heat simmer until the custard has thickened.
13. Don’t rush this and increase the heat or the custard will split.
14. To serve, remove the dumplings from the pan, dust with icing sugar and pour over the custard. You can serve any remaining cherries on the side.
Black Cherry Dampfnudel
Other recipes with egg
Choux Pastry Buns with Coffee and Caramelised Almonds
Chocolate stout and irish cream liqueur cupcakes
Sausage burger with spicy onion rings and humous
Chocolate Fondants with Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Parma Ham and Wild Mushroom Beef Wellington
Organic Figs with Goat's Cheese Cheesecake
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Kids Baking Championship
A group of talented junior bakers compete in a series of very creative challenges to win the title of Kids Baking Champion and the $25,000 grand prize.
The Best Of Man V. Food
From visiting America's greatest pig-out spots to taking on the most legendary eating challenges, Adam Richman has sampled some incredible dishes. Relive some of his favourite mouth-watering moments.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Man V. Food: Hall Of Fame
Food enthusiast Casey Webb travels across the U.S. in search of the country’s ultimate eating challenges. From his most memorable BBQ dishes to his favourite desserts, Casey counts down some of his greatest feasts.
Bake Off: The Professionals
Teams of professional pastry chefs across Britain compete in a spectacular bake-off. They create exquisite desserts and showpieces in a bid to impress world-renowned judges and be crowned the winner.
Chef Nancy Fuller gathers the best the land has to offer and feeds her friends and family classic, farm fresh meals.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Jamie's Great Britain
Jamie Oliver explores the history of British food and how British cuisine has been influenced by centuries of invasion, exploration, and immigration. He samples modern and traditional dishes and cooks up delicious meals inspired by his trip.
John Torode's Asia
Chef John Torode embarks on a spectacular journey around Asia. He tastes mouth-watering flavours and dishes and meets brilliant culinary teachers that inspire him to create new dishes of his own.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Community Hub In Chaos
Robert visits Park Vue Soul Food Bar and Restaurant in Buffalo, where an inexperienced mother-daughter team is desperately trying to serve their community.
Ainsley revives some old-fashioned recipes, including minced beef, potato and onion pie. Vic Hope is in the kitchen with an update for the classic 70s starter, prawn cocktail.
Home Sweet Home: Easy Eats
Ree takes it easy with a range of simple dishes, starting with creamy lemon chicken and sweet potato and mushroom carbonara.
Bogged Down In Buffalo
Robert steps in to help a single dad save his family's legacy restaurant in Buffalo. It’s rundown, filthy and losing money and Robert has 48 hours to save it.
How Mum Used to Make
Ainsley shares some favourite maternal recipes, including his mother’s brown chicken stew. Plus, Aldo Zilli cooks his family lasagne recipe and Juliet Sear makes her mum’s quiche.
Home: 4 Ways With Beef
Ree beefs things up with four recipes featuring meat. She makes a mashup of steak with creamed greens pasta and uses ground beef in taco tomatoes.
Nancy Foots The Bill
In Geneva, NY, Robert helps save family-owned Cosentino's Ristorante. The owners’ marriage suffers with the workload and their son serves unappetising food.
Ainsley shares some favourite recipes, including spicy seafood linguine. Alison Hammond and Aldo Zilli are also in the kitchen cooking lamb couscous and Italian-style calamari.
Home: Pizza The Action
Ree is on the ranch cooking up creative new pizzas. She shakes things up with a butternut squash crust pizza and thinks sweet with a brownie pizza.
Baby's First Bash
Ina makes a celebratory meal for the arrival of her friend’s new son. She makes truffle popcorn, spicy turkey meatballs and then they eat s’mores by the firepit.
Miguel While You Were Out
Ina cooks for her friend, Miguel Flores-Vianaa. She makes panko-crusted salmon, warm French lentils, an all-American cheeseboard and chicken noodle soup.
Ina reveals all her bread-baking secrets. She makes honey white bread, gets creative with breadcrumbs and mussels and builds a tasty tuna and hummus sandwich.
Ina shares restaurant-inspired dishes and secrets from America’s best kitchens. On the menu are peas and prosciutto, lemon chicken and skillet brownies.
Ina is both a teacher and a student as she holds a cookery class. She teaches how to make banana cake and blueberry muffins. Then, she asks experts some questions!
Ina is inspired by local produce and embraces the incredible ingredients that she can find on her doorstep. She makes honey vanilla pound cake and corn and Brie salad.
BC Burger Joint
Ina makes burgers with a twist. She gives the sides a makeover with a buttermilk ranch dressing on bibb lettuce and sweet potato chips.
Ina is demystifying French classics including mussel bisque, apricot butter and apple tarts. Plus, she offers useful tips for cooking French cuisine.
Dare To Be Different
Ina adapts classic dishes by adding new flavours and altering the cooking method. She makes an easy Parmesan risotto and deconstructed strawberry shortcakes.
Jeffrey's Birthday Pop-up
Ina throws Jeffrey a surprise birthday party. On the menu for the celebration is a Greek platter, spinach pie and a delicious raspberry and orange trifle.