Tempting Chocolate Truffle Cake
- Preparation Time90 mins
- Cooking Time75 mins
For the Lyle’s Golden Syrup® truffles
For the chocolate fudge cake
For the icing & decoration
1. Grease a 20cm (8”) deep cake tin, and line the base with greaseproof paper.
2. Make the truffles first as they need time to harden.
3. Set a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of boiling water making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water. Add the chocolate, cream, butter and Lyle’s Golden Syrup® and stir occasionally with a spoon for 4-5 minutes or until melted, well combined and glossy.
4. Pour into another bowl leave to cool and set for 3-4 hours.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4.
6. For the cake, in a large bowl mix the cocoa and water together with a wooden spoon until smooth, then add the butter, Lyle’s Golden Syrup®, Tate & Lyle® Golden Caster Sugar, eggs and milk and beat well.
7. Sift over the flour and baking powder and mix well to make a thick batter.
8. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 10 minutes or until risen and a fine skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cakes. Loosely cover with a double layer of foil after 45 minutes to stop the top from over-browning.
9. Using a melon baller dip it into a bowl of hot water and scoop the chocolate truffle mixture into 30 balls, dipping the baller in the water each time. Place on a greaseproof-lined tray.
10. If you don’t have a melon baller use a teaspoon instead and quickly roll into balls. Spoon the Tate & Lyle® Fairtrade Icing Sugar, the cocoa powder and the hazelnuts into 3 separate small bowls. Roll 10 of the truffles in each of the different mixtures to coat.
11. Remove the cake from the oven, leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and discard the greaseproof. When it’s completely cold trim the top if it’s peaked too much to level it off and turn upside down so the neat bottom is on the top.
12. Make the icing next. Put the butter in a large mixing bowl, add the Tate & Lyle® Fairtrade Icing Sugar, the cocoa and then add the Lyle’s Golden Syrup®.
13. Using an electric beater, slowly mix then increase the speed until smooth, add the milk and mix again until soft.
14. Transfer to a cake board or plate. Use a palette knife to spread some of the icing over the sides - there is no need to be neat - and then coat with the hazelnuts. Use the rest of the icing for the top.
15. Arrange the truffles decoratively on top of the cake and serve.
Other recipes with chocolate
Hot Chocolate Pancakes
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Red Hot Santa Tini
S'mores Delight - Christmas Special
Christmas Cookie Cocktail
White Chocolate Egg Nog
Chocolate Cheesecake Candy Cane Bars
John Whaite's Cranberry, Chocolate and Pecan Biscotti
White Chocolate Buche De Noel
Chocolate and Orange Christmas Cake
Lyle's® Choc-Chestnut Pots
Cinnamon and Vanilla Pod Hot Chocolate
Damaris' Orange-Chocolate Bars
Hoppin' hot scotch
Hot Cocoa and Homemade Marshmallows
Minted hot chocolate
Caramel, Chocolate and Candy Apples
Marzipan Pumpkin Truffles
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Holiday Baking Championship: Gingerbread Showdown
Teams tackle themed gingerbread build challenges for a prize worth $10,000.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Buddy Vs. Christmas
Baking legend Buddy Valastro has taken on every cake challenge imaginable. Now, to mark the festive season, he takes on America’s greatest non-baking artists in a series of delicious Christmas-themed challenges.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Duff Goldman challenges talented bakers from across America to a spooky baking competition. These experts go head to head to see who can impress the judges with their edible Halloween creations for a chance to win the $10,000 prize.
Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking
Gordon Ramsay shares his top recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Grandma Grocery Games
Guy Fieri welcomes four grandmothers to show off their culinary skills. In one round, they must cook their most requested family dish.
All ABC Games
Guy Fieri invites chefs to compete in three rounds featuring seafood and fried ingredients. The winner will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
All-Stars' Full Meal
Celebrity chefs take on three-course meal challenges. In one round, the chefs must include a special ingredient of Guy's choosing in their international dish.
Guy Fieri welcomes three couples to take on his culinary games. In one round, the loved-up duos must work against the clock to make a wedding dinner.
Pro Athletes And Judges
Guy invites three professional athletes to test their culinary skills. In one round, the sporting stars must shop for their ingredients while blindfolded.
Allegra travels to the Aegean coast and explores the diet of Turkey’s past. Back at home, she feels inspired to make a tasty artichoke and sausage salad.
Allegra heads to the vibrant city of Bursa and explores the morning food markets. Later, she learns from the grandson of the man who invented the doner kebab.
Three teams of chefs represent their restaurants as they compete in two action-packed rounds. The winning team will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to get creative and assemble tasty sandwiches. The chef who has the most skill between two slices of bread will win up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri gives four home cooks a chance to prove their culinary skills. The rookie who best rises to the challenge will win a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Ultimate Asian Food Showdown
Four chefs face off to see who can make the tastiest Asian cuisine. In one round, the chefs must use tiny carts to shop for their rice dishes.
Guy Fieri invites three of America’s best cheese chefs to take on his culinary games. The final round pits the competitors against chef Eric Greenspan.
Allegra is in Iznik to learn the secrets to making a stuffed flatbread called gozleme. Back in the kitchen, she demonstrates how to cook chicken guvec.
Chef Allegra McEvedy explores the culinary culture of Istanbul. She visits a world-famous spice market and samples a variety of unique Turkish Delights.
Wild And Crazy Budget Games
Guy Fieri challenges four talented chefs to make tasty dishes on a budget. The winner gets a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
The chefs are challenged to make full meals for four on a budget of $5. The competitor who beats some of Guy's toughest games yet gets prize worth up to $20,000.
All Budget Wheel Games
Guy Fieri spins a wheel to decide how much the chefs will get to spend on ingredients for their dishes. The winner gets a prize worth up to $20,000.
Clash Of The Vegetarians!
Four veggie masters compete for a prize worth up to $20,000. In one round, a wheel determines the classic meat dishes the chefs must make vegetarian.
Duff's New Year's Eve Cake-Off
Four professional bakers must capture change through the years in their innovative New Year's Eve cakes, but there's a catch: The cakes must also transform from old to new.