Toasted Coconut Cake with Coconut Filling and Coconut Buttercream
- Preparation Time60 mins
- Cooking Time65 mins
For the toasted coconut
For the coconut simple syrup
For the coconut custard
For the coconut filling
For the coconut buttercream
For the cake
2) Spread the coconut evenly onto a baking sheet and toast until lightly golden brown, stirring once, 8 to 10 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the coconut sit in the oven until very dry and crunchy, about 15 mins longer.
3) For the simple syrup, bring water and sugar to a boil. Stir in the coconut, remove from the heat and let sit for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hrs. Strain the liquid into a clean saucepan, bring to a boil and let cook until the mixture is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
4) For the custard, combine the milks, vanilla pod and seeds in a medium nonreactive saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat. Whisk together the yolks, sugar and cornflour in a large bowl. Slowly whisk the warm milk into the egg mixture then return the mixture to the pot over medium heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until thickened. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and whisk in the rum and vanilla essence. Let cool to room temperature then cover with cling film and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hrs.
5) For the filling, combine the custard and cream in a bowl and whip until soft peaks form.
6) For the buttercream, beat the butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the coconut custard and salt and beat until combined and smooth.
7) For the cake, preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4. Butter and flour two (22-by-5 cm) round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
8) Whisk together the milk, egg whites, vanilla pod seeds and vanilla essence in a medium bowl.
9) In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With mixer running at low speed, add the butter, one piece at a time and continue beating until mixture resembles moist crumbs. Add all but 120ml of milk mixture to crumbs and beat at medium speed until the mixture is pale and fluffy, about 1 1/2 minutes.
10) With mixer on low speed, add remaining 120ml of the milk mixture, increase speed to medium and beat 30 secs more. Scrape sides of bowl and mix for 20 seconds longer. Divide the batter evenly between the cakes pan and smooth the tops using a rubber spatula.
11) Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out with a few crumbs attached, 22 to 24 minutes. Cool in the pan on baking rack for 10 minutes. Run a small knife around the side of the pan and invert cakes onto the baking rack, removing parchment paper, and let cool completely, about 45 minutes.
12) To assemble the cake, using a long serrated knife, slice each cake horizontally into two layers. Reserve one of the flat bottom layers for the top of the cake. Place another layer on a cardboard round, cut side up, and brush with some of the coconut simple syrup. Spoon a third of the coconut filling onto the cake and using a small offset metal spatula, spread it into an even layer, leaving a 1 cm border around the edge of the cake. Repeat with two more layers. Brush the cut side of the reserved cake layer with the remaining syrup. Place the layer cut side down on top of the cake.
13) Frost the sides and top of the cake with the buttercream. Pat the coconut onto the sides of the cake and sprinkle the remaining coconut on the top of the cake.
Slow cooked blade steak with beef & oyster sauce, carrots and turnip
Laphroaig Smoky French Martini
Laphroaig Islay on the Beach
Laphroaig Café Islay
Laphroaig Long Islay Spritz
Laphroaig Ginger Peat
Laphroaig Heated And Peated
Laphroaig Smoke And Spice
Laphroaig Heated Highball
Laphroaig Smoky Old Fashioned
Laphroaig Smoky Ginger
Laphroaig Old Peat
Broiled Porterhouse with Roasted Garlic and Lemon
Smoked Haddock and Sautéed Potatoes with a Smokey Cream and White Wine Sauce
Asparagus with Caramelised Shallots & Tarragon Mayonnaise
30 Minute Shepherd's Pie
Smoky Hot Scallops and Chives
Blue Cheese Steak Sandwich With The Works
The ultimate BLT burgers with honey treacle-glazed bacon, griddled lettuce and smoky tomato mayo
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Michel Roux’s French Country Cooking
Michel Roux Jr showcases the unique cuisine of Southern France. He sources incredible local ingre-dients, samples delicious dishes and shares his favourite recipes that are simple and easy to make.
Haunted Gingerbread Showdown
Nine of America’s best gingerbread artists craft spooky gingerbread creations for a chance to win the ultimate Halloween treat: a top prize of $25,000!
The Best Of Man V. Food
From visiting America's greatest pig-out spots to taking on the most legendary eating challenges, Adam Richman has sampled some incredible dishes. Relive some of his favourite mouth-watering moments.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Kids Baking Championship
A group of talented junior bakers compete in a series of very creative challenges to win the title of Kids Baking Champion and the $25,000 grand prize.
Man V. Food: Hall Of Fame
Food enthusiast Casey Webb travels across the U.S. in search of the country’s ultimate eating challenges. From his most memorable BBQ dishes to his favourite desserts, Casey counts down some of his greatest feasts.
The Hairy Bikers' Comfort Food
For the Hairy Bikers, nothing beats delicious comfort food. Si and Dave share some of their favourite feel-good recipes and reveal the fascinating stories behind iconic dishes.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge samples the best pub food the UK has to offer and demonstrates how to make hearty dishes inspired by British pub classics, from the comfort of your own home.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Chef Nancy Fuller gathers the best the land has to offer and feeds her friends and family classic, farm fresh meals.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Dinner In Napa
For a meal with Jeffrey Ina makes couscous and tuna salad with raspberry bars. They have dinner with Michael Chiarello who makes his great chicken with grapes.
Ina makes a surprise birthday dinner for a friend. She fills her fridge with Italian seafood salad, German chocolate cupcakes and a delicious cheeseboard.
Eat Like A Local
Ina makes tomato crostini and whipped feta for lunch and learns how to make a local recipe of buttermilk fried chicken. Then, she chooses drinks: spritz or gimlet
Ina turns classic lobster recipe into a Deconstructed Lobster Salad. Later, she learns to make the Michelin-starred Auberge du Soleil’s signature Torte Au Chocolat.
Perfect Day In East Hampton
Ina whips up raspberry muffins for breakfast. Later, she cooks with the local chef Joe Isidori before heading back to the barn for soup with Jeffrey.
Local Food Heroes
Ina, inspired by the fabulous food in the Hamptons, creates new recipes for her blog. She makes salmon and guacamole sandwiches and balsamic roasted beet salad.
Ina Garten shares her secrets for effortless entertaining with chili tortilla chips, slow roasted beef, roasted balsamic brussels sprouts and truffled mashed potatoes.
Library Inaugural Drinks
Ina makes fig and fennel caponata, an antipasto platter and mashed chickpeas and mussels to thank the team that designed and built a library at her barn.
Birthday Boat Party
Ina sets sail down the Hudson River to celebrate a friend's birthday. She brings portable food including hot smoked salmon, fresh dill sauce and carrot cake.
Surprise Italian Party
Ina is hosting a surprise dinner party with an Italian theme. She shares her dinner party knowledge and strategies, from menu planning to setting the scene.
Ina has a romantic plan for her wedding anniversary. Her menu includes crispy mustard chicken, creamy cheddar grits and chocolate peanut butter globs.
What's Cooking in Brooklyn
Ina makes a Southern-style breakfast of grits with ham and gravy at Seersucker Restaurant. Later, at Bien Cuit Bakery, she bakes perfect baguettes.
Cooking With Michael Symon
Ina and Michael Symon cook a Greek feast. He makes delicious smoked pork ribs on the grill whilst she whips up the side dishes, like spicy hummus.
Fun In The City
Ina gets to cook in two incredible New York restaurants. At John Dory Oyster Bar she learns the secret to making oyster pan roast and uni butter crostini.
Cooking With Tyler Florence
Ina has a cooking date with chef Tyler Florence. They bake a birthday cake together and visit the local farm scene to pick up vegetables and chicken.
Best Barefoot Grilling
Ina shares some of her favourite grilling recipes. She makes Tuscan lemon chicken, Indonesian swordfish, corn on the cob and Panzanella.
Cooking With Giada De Laurentiis
Ina invites Giada De Laurentiis round for a day of cooking together. They enjoy lobster and potato salad for lunch and then Giada makes a delicious gnocchi dish.
Welcome To Town Party
Ina throws a housewarming party with dishes including corn and avocado salad and tequila citrus chicken. Plus, she shares cheese and dessert platter tips.
Old New York
Ina learns from New York's food greatest by taking smoked salmon and bagel masterclass at a Jewish store and a steak lesson from a legendary butcher.