Tom Kerridge's BBQ Meatball and Mozzarella Sub
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time30 mins
TOMATO BBQ SAUCE
Crispy fried onions
1. Place all the ingredients for the meatballs into a mixing bowl. Season the mixture well and mix the meat with your hands for a few minutes.
2. Then divide the mixture into 16 even sized balls. Place these balls on a tray and set aside in the fridge to cool.
3. Meanwhile place the olive oil into a shallow sauté pan and place pan onto a hot BBQ.
4. Add the garlic and stir well for 2 minutes. Add the passata, BBQ sauce, water, and chilli flakes. Stir well and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Place the meatballs onto the hot BBQ and cook for around 5-8 minutes, turning regularly until they are browned all over.
6. Once they are browned, place them directly into the sauce. Let them simmer in the sauce for 5-10 minutes to finish off cooking.
7. Split the rolls and toast them lightly directly on the BBQ. Spread both sides with butter.
8. Place 4 meatballs on the bottom half of each sub and spoon over the sauce. Top the meatballs with some cheese and a few basil leaves.
9. Next wrap them in foil and place into the BBQ for a further 5-8 minutes. Turn the subs every 1-2 minutes to ensure even cooking.
10. Remove from the BBQ and remove the foil. Top with crispy onions and hamburger pickles for extra crunch.