Tom Kerridge's Smoked Pastrami Burger
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time30 mins
1. The first step is to add your olive oil to a large sauté pan. When hot, add your onions along with a pinch of salt, stir well.
2. Cook over low to medium heat for around 20 minutes or until your onions have turned a caramel brown and are completely soft and sweet. Remove from heat and leave to cool completely.
3. Next, add all the remaining burger ingredients into a large bowl and work until it all comes together.
4. Divide the mix into four generous patties and then place on to a tray and into the fridge to firm up.
5. Next, place all the spices into a pestle and mortar and grind to a coarse powder. Then tip onto a plate. Press one side of the burger patty.
6. Next mix the mayonnaise with the ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Tabasco and Worcestershire and season with salt and stir together and then keep to one side.
7. To cook the burger, preheat a BBQ or grill.
8. Sprinkle a couple of handfuls of soaked wood chips over the coals to create some extra smoke. This will ensure a heavy smoky flavour imparts the burgers.
9. Lightly drizzle the burger with oil and lay spice side down onto the grill. Cook for 2 minutes to toast the crust and then flip over, lay on the cheese and cook for a further 2-3 minutes with the lids on.
10. Remove the burger and rest on a plate for a minute or two
11. Then spread the Russian on the base and the lid of the burger, pop on the burger and top off with the sauerkraut and dill pickle.