Tom Kerridge's Spicy Sweet Potato Burgers
- Preparation Time90 mins
- Cooking Time40 mins
CHIPOTLE LIME MAYO
1. Wait for the embers on your BBQ to have cooled down and turned white.
2. Prick the 2 sweet potatoes with a fork and wrap them individually in foil. Tuck them into the coals and cook for around 40 minutes, making sure to turn them every 10 minutes or so.
3. In the meantime, place the beans into a mixing bowl and mash them up with well your hands.
4. When the sweet potatoes are cooked, unwrap the foil and leave to cool slightly. Cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh directly into the bowl.
5. Add the panko, cashews, spices, and seasoning. Mix everything well with the black bean mixture and divide into 4 portions and flatten into patties. Leave to set in the fridge for 1 hour.
6. After about 45 minutes, begin to prepare your BBQ again.
7. Mix all the ingredients for the chipotle mayo together and set aside.
8. Place the oil into a large cast iron pan and onto the BBQ. When hot, add the patties and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
9. Toast the burger bun halves directly onto the BBQ and set aside on a tray until needed.
10. If you are using cheese add to the patties and pour a little water into the pan and place a lid on top. The steam created will help the cheese to melt.
11. When assembling your burgers, place a spoonful of mayo on the bottom half. Top with the burger and halve and avocado that has been sliced and fanned out.
12. Add some lettuce or spinach. Spread another spoonful of mayo onto the top of the bun and place on top. If you like things extra spicy, add a few jalapeno’s too!