Ultimate Dinner Rolls
Recipe Courtesy of Kelly Senyei
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time25 mins
280g all-purpose flour divided, plus more as needed
120ml whole milk, warmed to 40 degrees
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
60ml fresh orange juice, warmed to 40 degrees C
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for topping
2 tablespoons sugar
7g packet instant (rapid rise) yeast
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Large-flake sea salt, for topping
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine 125g of the flour with the milk, orange zest, orange juice, egg, butter, sugar, yeast, and kosher salt. Mix on low speed until the flour is incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Increase the speed to medium and continue mixing the dough for 2 minutes.
- Add another 60g of the flour and continue mixing until it is incorporated. Add the remaining flour and mix until combined and the dough begins to form a ball. The dough should be sticky but pulling away from the sides of the bowl. If it is too sticky, add more flour, 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Turn out the dough and knead until it comes together into a smooth ball, about 2 minutes. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover the bowl with a towel, and let rest in a warm, dark place until the dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Grease an 8-inch round baking dish with cooking spray. Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then arrange the balls in a single layer in the prepared pan. Cover the pan with a towel, then return it to the warm, dark place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Uncover the rolls, brush with additional melted butter, and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake until the rolls are golden brown and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the rolls from the oven, brush them again with melted butter, and serve warm.