Vegan Dumplings in Creamy Tomato Curry
Recipe Courtesy of Megan Hysaw
- Preparation Time40 mins
- Cooking Time40 mins
One can full-fat coconut milk (do not shake the can), refrigerated
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into small dice
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon madras curry powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
Pink Himalayan salt or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
One can crushed tomatoes
Vegetable oil, for frying
15g chopped cilantro leaves, plus leaves for garnish
90g chickpea flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
570g cooked basmati rice
- Spoon 120ml of the thick cream off the top of the can of coconut into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half the onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, garam masala, coriander, curry powder, mustard, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until the tomato paste is brick red, about 1 minute more.
- Stir in 60ml water, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the crushed tomatoes and the remaining liquid from the can of coconut milk into the pan. Bring to a simmer and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the remaining onion, the cilantro, chickpea flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the bowl with the coconut cream and mix until well combined.
- Once the oil is shimmering but not smoking, working in batches, use a small ice-cream scoop or a tablespoon to form round dumplings from the chickpea flour mixture and gently add to them to the oil. Fry the dumplings, flipping them halfway through, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Divide the rice between plates or bowls and top with dumplings and creamy curry sauce. Garnish with more cilantro. Serve and enjoy!