Vegan Saffron, Strawberry and Lime Meringue Nests
- Cooking Time30 mins
For the Vegan Meringue
For the Strawberries
For the Whipped Coconut Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 100°C. Line three large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Drain the chickpeas and reserve the water. Put the chickpeas in a container and use it to make Channa Masala or Hummus later.
3. Pour the chickpea water into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the balloon whisk attachment. Make sure your bowl is really clean and grease free. Any oil could cause your meringue to deflate.
4. Whisk on a high speed for 4 minutes. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat. During this time, add the cream of tartar, vanilla and saffron. Once your meringues have reached a really stiff glossy peak stage, add a little bit of yellow food colour if you like. Whip until evenly incorporated.
5. Fit a piping bag with a large star-tipped nozzle and spoon in your meringue. You might have to do it in batches if it doesn't fit. Shake to remove any large air pockets.
6. Pipe into nests by piping a 3-inch round spiral base, then pipe two to three circles on top of the outer edge of the base, spiraling upwards to create a ‘nest effect’ on the edge of the meringue.
7. Bake at 100°C for 2 ½ hours, then switch the oven off and leave for a further hour. Remove from the oven and gently peel the meringues away from the greaseproof paper. They should be totally dry underneath. Remember, the larger the meringues, the longer they will take to bake.
8. Meanwhile, chop the strawberries any which way you like. Add the lime juice, zest and sugar. Mix and cover with cling film. Chill until later.
9. Open the tins of coconut milk (don’t shake them first) and remove the thick cream from the top. Place it in the bowl of your stand mixer and whip along with the sugar until smooth. Reserve the water for a smoothie tomorrow morning.
10. Assemble the nests with a spoonful of coconut cream, top with strawberries and lime zest. Serve immediately.
The plain meringue nests will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Other recipes with chickpea
Sausage Falafel with Romaine and Yoghurt Sauce
Grilled Chickpea Polenta Cakes with Chive Oil and Lemon
Sausage Falafel with Romaine and Yogurt Sauce
Warm Salad of Tenderstem Broccoli and Chickpeas
Spiced Butternut Squash Stew with Couscous
Chicken and Tenderstem Tagine
Slow-cooked Curried Chicken with Cauliflower
Roasted red pepper hummus
Sausage burger with spicy onion rings and humous
Slow-Roasted Lamb Shoulder with Feta Salsa
Smoky Pork Corn and Chickpea Fajitas
Tagine Chickpeas with Halloumi
Ham Hock Croquettes with Truffled Pea Purée and Fried Quail Egg
Chatpata Chana Balti
Grilled pizza with spicy hummus, vegetables, goat's cheese and black olives
Other recipes with lime
Grilled Corn on the Cob with Garlic Butter, Fresh Lime and Cotija Cheese
Monster Mushroom Burger
Mexican Grilled Corn
Honey Soy Grilled Salmon with Edamame
Grilled Prawns with Soy Sauce, Fresh Ginger and Garlic
The Ultimate Jerk Chicken
Crisp Chicken Wings with Chilli-Lime Butter
Tequila Lime Chicken
Kiwi Kutee Cocktail
White Chocolate Buche De Noel
St. Patrick's Day Lime Poke Cake
Easy Key Lime Ice Cream Meringue Cheesecake
Strawberry ice cream
Healthy Spicy Steamed Baby Bok Choy
Sunny lomi salmon
Spicy Citrus Bloody Mary
Thai Green Chicken Curry
Slow-Cooker Coconut Rice Pudding
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Ree Drummond whips up four dishes that can't go wrong. First up, she makes chocolate sheet cake with vanilla bean frosting then delicious stuffed peppers.
County Clare And The Burren
John visits the Burren where he learns the art of making pork confit. Plus, he makes chocolate at a remote factory and cooks lobster by the Flaggy Shore.
Quick and Easy Breakfasts
Ree Drummond starts her day with quick and easy breakfasts like all-in-one mini bagel breakfast sandwiches and stacks of double chocolate chip pancakes.
New Weeknight Favorites
Ree Drummond dishes up new favourites to spice up weeknights. She puts a twist on cheeseburger sliders and makes an impressive easy tomato pie.
Grandma Knows Best
Ree Drummond celebrates the food she remembers from her grandma's house, making retro Salisbury steak, skillet scalloped potatoes, and irresistible green beans.
Dinner for Your Sweetie
Ree Drummond shares her ideas for a romantic meal for someone special. She teams herb-crusted chicken cutlets with cheesy mushroom and black pepper pasta.
Behind the Bookcase
In Austin, Adam finds a trendy hidden lounge nestled behind a bookcase in a hostel, a kitchen sink burger, and a decadent French toast breakfast sandwich.
Easy and Elegant
Ree Drummond cooks up simple and refined dishes. She makes crab cakes and 5-ingredient remoulade and peppercorn-crusted steak with pimento creamed spinach.
Kinsale And Dingle
In Cork’s Kinsale, John and Martin Shanahan make the ultimate soup from freshly caught fish, then John tastes the oldest alcoholic drink in the world.
Ree Drummond refreshes some of her favourite dishes. She makes delicious skirt steak and sweet potato fries and rustles up a Tex-Mex chicken pot pie.
Game Day Eats
Ree Drummond scores big with easy game day eats! The sumptuous menu includes pizza dip with garlic toast, hamburger potato skins and portable cookie sundaes.
Ree Drummond serves up four ranch-approved dishes that won't break the bank. They include Italian chicken meatballs and a tortilla breakfast bake.
Ree Drummond celebrates vegetable dishes sure to get rave reviews! Tomato cobbler, veggie-packed baked pasta and simple curry pumpkin soup are on the menu.
Wexford to Cork
In Cork, John goes to the legendary Ballymaloe Cookery School where he makes soda bread with the matriarch of modern Irish food, Darina Allen.
Winner's World Cup
Guy Fieri invites three chefs with previous wins to shop in Flavortown Market's brand-new international section, where all the labels are in different languages!
Guy Fieri welcomes four mothers to Flavortown Market to prove their culinary chops. To earn shopping money they must answer kids' homework questions!
Night on the Flavortown
Guy Fieri invites four new all-star chefs to Flavortown Market and gives them one hour to make a fancy three-course dinner using a mystery ingredient.
No Help Wanted
The owner of 7th Restaurant and Lounge, Don, never asks for help despite being paralyzed. Robert works to convince Don that running a restaurant takes a team.
Road to Rematch
Interviews with Buddy, Duff and their sous chefs set the stage for the next big battle between the kings of cake. Plus, intense moments from the first contest are revisited.