Vegetable Guo Tieh
- Preparation Time60 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
1. Mix the carrot, mushrooms and smoked tofu with the salt, sugar, white pepper, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine and grated ginger. Add the cabbage, spring onions and water chestnuts.
2. Using your hand, mix thoroughly with the vegetables. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for around 1 hour, then drain off any excess water and mix in the cornflour.
3. Place a dumpling skin between your palm and fingers, and put 1½ teaspoons of the filling in the middle. Run a dampened finger around the edge, then gently bring one half of the dumpling skin over the other half and squeeze the edges. To make the dumpling more decorative, add some folds around the edges. Continue until the remaining 29 dumpling skins are filled.
4. In a saucepan, over a medium-low heat, heat the oil. Arrange the dumplings around the pan and cook covered, for 2 minutes. In a cup of around 250ml water, add the plain flour and mix until most lumps are gone.
5. Pour over the frying dumplings, turn the heat to low and cover with a lid until the water has evaporated. Be careful adding the water, as it’s liable to cause the oil to spit. Gently remove from the pan (The flour water will turn into crispy and delicate flour sheet and may break easily when lifting the dumplings out from the pan). Arrange on a serving plate. Garnish 2 chives criss-crossed over the dumplings.