Vegetarian Scotch Eggs
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time15 mins
2) Drain all of the beans and chickpeas, and rinse thoroughly in cold water. Mash them together, creating a coarse mix. Add the beaten egg, breadcrumbs, coriander, along with all of the seasoning and mix. Divide into four 100g portions and flatten each out on a piece of clingfilm about 40cm squared, into ovals about 12.5cm long and 7.5cm at its widest point.
3) Place each egg onto an oval, then pick the clingfilm square up by its corners, and use it to wrap the bean mix around each egg. Make sure the coating is smooth and completely covers the egg.
4) Roll each one in flour first, then in the beaten egg, rolling to coat completely, then roll in the breadcrumbs to completely cover. Repeat this once.
5) Heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan, until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it. Carefully place each scotch egg into the hot oil and deep-fry for 8 minutes, until golden and crisp.
6) Carefully remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper