White sausage gravy
- Preparation Time5 mins
- Cooking Time15 mins
For the scones
For the glaze
2) Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl, leaving the rendered fat in the skillet. Whisk the flour into the fat and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Whilst whisking, pour the milk into the skillet and bring the gravy to the boil.
3) Lower the heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Stir in the sausage and season with pepper. Split the scones in half and divide them among plates. Top each scone with some of the gravy and serve immediately.
For the scones:
1) Place a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 220/Gas 8. Line a baking tray with two layers of greaseproof paper. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Rub 2 tbsp of the butter into the flour with your fingertips until completely absorbed. Work the remaining butter into the flour until it is in even pieces about the size of a pea. Gently stir the milk into the flour mixture to make a loose dough.
3) Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Pat the dough into a 1-cm thick rectangle. Fold the dough in thirds like a business letter. (For a flakier scone repeat the folding a second time.)
4) Pat the dough into a 12 by 20-cm rectangle about 2-cm thick. Use a 5- to 7-cm round cutter to make 6 scones, and transfer them to the prepared baking tray. Press together the scraps of dough and cut 2 more biscuits.
5) For the glaze, mix the cream and melted butter together in a small bowl. Lightly brush the tops of the biscuits with the glaze. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes before serving.