- Preparation Time45 mins
- Cooking Time25 mins
For the cupcakes
For the icing
For the cupcakes:
1) Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 150C/Gas 2. Set the liners in the muffin cups.
2) Put the chocolate and prune juice in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave on low power, stirring occasionally, until completely melted.
3) Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, beat the egg and yolk with an electric hand mixer at high speed until slightly thick and lemon coloured, about 3 mins. Slowly add the buttermilk, oil, vanilla and melted chocolate mixture to the eggs, beating until thoroughly combined. Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
4) Divide the batter among the muffin tins, filling them halfway. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean and the tops spring back when pressed gently, about 25 mins. Cool the cupcakes in the tin on a rack for 10 mins then remove from the tin and cool completely.
For the icing:
1) Beat the butter, peanut butter and cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar and milk, mixing until the icing is smooth. Add food colouring as desired. Refrigerate the icing until firm.
For decorating the cakes:
1) For the witches hat, score a circle in the middle of a cupcake. Cut a deep, cone-like shape with a knife held at an angle. Rotate the cupcake to complete the circle and remove the centre. Repeat with all of the cupcakes.
2) Generously scoop or pipe enough icing into the centre of each cupcake to fill the hole and to rise above the cake to make a face. Top with a chocolate wafer biscuit. Put a dot of icing in the middle of the wafer and invert the cone-shaped piece of cake on top to make a witches hat.
3) Use skinny liquorice, toasted coconut or cereal flakes for hair, and sweets for eyes and/or nose.
4) Refrigerate for up to 30 mins before serving.
Other recipes with chocolate
Chocolate Fondants with Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Dark Chocolate and Caramelised Banana Pie
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Spring Baking Championship
A group of America’s top bakers compete in several exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring. The baker who comes out on top will claim the title of Baking Champion and take home an amazing cash prize.
Kids Baking Championship
A group of talented junior bakers compete in a series of very creative challenges to win the title of Kids Baking Champion and the $25,000 grand prize.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Man Fire Food
Roger Mooking travels across the USA to visit home cooks, pitmasters, and chefs who use inventive ways to cook with fire.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Giada At Home
Giada De Larentiis loves hosting intimate meals and big celebrations in her home. She shares her memorable and unique recipes and plenty of useful tips.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Paul Hollywood City Bakes
Paul Hollywood travels the globe in search of the family bakeries, corner delis and luxury hotels which have created the baking heritage of entire cities.
Tom Kerridge's American Feast
Tom Kerridge travels across the United States, discovering the heart and soul of American food. The Michelin-starred chef samples the nation’s best dishes and puts his own spin on classic recipes.
Duff Takes The Cake
Duff Goldman and his team of decorators, designers and builders make epic, show-stopping cakes for milestone events and parties for their social media followers. Then, the special creations must be made and delivered on time and intact.
Giada In Italy
American raised but Italian-born, Giada De Larentiis returns to her roots in a culinary trip through Italy. She makes dishes inspired by her family and local traditions.
Brunch Club Strikes Again
It's Molly Yeh's turn to host Brunch Club with her friends. She makes blueberry cream cheese scones with yogurt glaze and bacon hasselback sweet potatoes.
Hidden Talent Party
Jade's Slumber Party
Big Game Bar Hop
Party In The Kitchen
Taste The World
Family Fun Day
2nd Annual Film Festival Party
A Night Of Decadence
Girls' Night In
Giada's Film Festival
Giada invites her friends over to watch the big game. She makes gourmet dishes like three-way sandwich, dips and chips and spicy Calabrian shrimp.