Ginger Puddings with Cardamom Crème Anglaise
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the Cardamom Creme Anglaise
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Grease 8 darial moulds, or ramekins, and dust with a mixture of icing sugar and ground ginger.
3. Put the stem ginger in a food processor and chop until fine.
4. In a pan melt the butter along with the treacle until it is simmering, then add the warm water.
5. Into a large bowl, sieve the flour, add the sugar, fresh ginger, ground ginger, stem ginger puree, all spice, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and combine.
6. Then add the eggs and the treacle butter and mix together with an electric whisk.
7. Pour into the moulds but no more than two thirds full and place on a baking tray in the oven for approx 13-15 mins.
8. The puddings will rise, so level out the tops with a knife and then turn out and serve with the custard.
For the Cardamom Crème Anglaise:
1. Crack the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar or on a board with a rolling pin.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan pour the milk and the cream, add the smashed pods and cover with cling film and heat on the lowest heat possible until simmering. Take off heat and pour into a jug, to make sure the mixture is not too hot.
3. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until almost white.
4. Pour a little milk onto the eggs then add the rest of it, return to the pan and stir continuously until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
5. Strain the pods and serve with the puddings.