Key Lime Coconut Cupcakes
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time30 mins
For the icing
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
3) Add the vanilla essence, key lime zest and juice and mix well. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
4) In 5 parts total, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold the coconut into the cupcake batter.
5) Fill each baking case almost to the top with batter. A spring loaded ice cream scoop works great for this and ensures the cupcakes are all the same size.
6) Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops begin to brown and a cocktail stick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a baking rack to cool completely.
1) While the cupcakes are cooling make the icing. In a small heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, carefully and slowly melt the white chocolate. Remove from the heat and allow to cool until just slightly warm.
2) Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, gradually add the icing sugar until well combined.
3) Add the salt, vanilla essence, key lime juice and sour cream and mix until very smooth. Add the melted white chocolate and mix just until incorporated.
4) Ice the cupcakes and garnish with a sprinkling of grated key lime zest. Enjoy!
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore we cannot make representation as to the results.