Beatty's Chocolate Cake
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time35 mins
For the Chocolate cake
For the chocolate buttercream
For the Chocolate cake:
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Butter 2 (20cm) round cake pans. Line with parchment paper, then butter and flour the pans.
2) Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined.
3) In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
4) Place 1 layer, flat side up, on a flat plate or cake pedestal. With a knife or offset spatula, spread the top with frosting. Place the second layer on top, rounded side up, and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
For the Chocolate buttercream:
1) Cut the chocolate and place it in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until just melted and set aside until cooled to room temperature.
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and continue beating for 3 minutes. Turn the mixer to low, gradually add the icing sugar, then beat at medium speed, scraping down the bowl as necessary, until smooth and creamy.
3) Dissolve the coffee powder in 2 teaspoons of the hottest tap water. On low speed, add the chocolate and coffee to the butter mixture and mix until blended. Don't whip. Spread immediately on the cooled cake.
Ina's Chocolate Cake Recipe
Other recipes with egg
Turkey, Red Pepper and Basil Frittata
Turkey and Brussels Bubble and Squeak
Basil, Ricotta, Walnut and Parma Ham Cocktail Quiches
Candy Cane Cookies
Mini Christmas Cakes with Soft Silver Pearls
Mini Christmas Cakes
John Whaite's Quick Christmas Fruit Cake
Brandy-Soaked Christmas Cupcakes
Panettone Bread Pudding
White Chocolate Buche De Noel
Winter Wonderland Cake
Stuffing and Gravy from Tristan Welch's Mum
Brie En Croute
Rosemary Shrager's Egg Nog
Ginger Snap Cocktail
Tofu Skewers With Walnut Pesto
Italian Burger with Caramelised Onions
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Tenderstem Bubble and Squeak with Caramelised Onions, Crisp Bacon and Eggs
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Delivery: Guilty Pleasures
Guy challenges three all-star chefs to make guilty pleasure dishes from the comfort of their homes. The chef with the highest score gets to spin the Money Wheel!
Casey Webb heads to Boulder, Colorado for a bourbon burger blast and campfire classic. Plus, he samples an insanely hot pizza with three layers of ghost pepper.
Roswell, New Mexico
Casey Webb ventures to Roswell, New Mexico for a UFO-inspired Thanksgiving sandwich. Later, he takes on the undefeated 10-98 challenge!
Delivery: Frozen Fiasco
Three chefs must turn ice cold ingredients into dishes that the judges deem hot, daring, and delicious. The winner gets a chance to win up to $20,000.
The six bakers reinvent Michigan's bumpy cake using the featured flavour of cherries. And, they make a Missouri favourite, mini gooey butter cakes.
Delivery: High-End at Home
Guy and Hunter invite three chefs to prepare restaurant-quality finest at home using Flavor Market’s finest ingredients. Who will win?
Ainsley cooks dishes inspired by the delights of the seaside. Plus, he joins expert forager Alysia Vasey to find out what edible treats are growing on our shorelines.
Delivery: DDD Guilty Pleasures
Guy and Hunter Fieri send GGG delivery boxes to three chefs competing in their own joints to see who makes the best guilty pleasures. Who will win?
Mary is given special access to see how Heathrow Airport’s restaurants feed the millions of busy passengers who pass through the terminals each year.
Mary visits London’s West End to discover the secrets to feeding busy commuters and demanding tourists. Her first stop is to try traditional pastries at a famous bakery.
Delivery: All-Star Noodles
Three all-star chefs compete in a home kitchen noodle competition. Each chef flips a coin to determine whether they use high or low-priced items.
Mary boards one of the Royal Navy’s mightiest warships, the HMS Defender. As the crew take part in a war training exercise, Mary helps out the hard-working kitchen team.
Mary explores the bustling food markets in Marrakech, Morocco. Back in the kitchen, she prepares lamb tagine, a spicy carrot hummus and a fresh summer salad.
Guy and Hunter Fieri turn three GGG judges into competitors in their own kitchens. Each chef receives the ingredients to make a lumberjack breakfast.
Mary is in Dorset to attend her first-ever music festival! She explores the variety of food stalls on offer and later rocks out on stage with singer Rick Astley.
Mary begins her culinary adventure in Rome, where she witnesses some speedy pasta makers in action. Plus, she meets a daring chef who has reinvented the traditional pizza.
Brooklyn, New York
Casey Webb’s quest takes him to Brooklyn for a barbeque and deli feast. Plus, he samples an Italian seafood staple and takes on a spicy shrimp challenge.
Newark, New Jersey
Casey Webb heads to go home state, New Jersey! He samples an iconic Italian hot dog, a Portuguese pork sandwich and takes part in a taco challenge.
Delivery: DDD OGs
Guy and Hunter Fieri send out a big box of groceries to three diner chefs. They must make a classic takeaway dish using an unusual kitchen gadget.