Chocolate and Caramel Cake
- Cooking Time30 mins
For the Chocolate Cake
For the Caramel Cream Cheese Buttercream
This is a great recipe for all the chocolate lovers, which means everyone. In this recipe I have made a simple chocolate cake which is very easy to perfect and combined it with caramel cream cheese buttercream icing. This cake is quick and easy to make and is perfect for a special occasion. Also great as a highlight to a very festive meal.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter and line 2 x 8 inch round cake tins.
2. Using an electric whisk cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Mix until light and creamy. To this add the melted chocolate and whisk again. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together. Now slowly fold this into the egg mix.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes till done. Once baked leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack. While the cakes are cooling prepare the buttercream.
4. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter until creamy. You can use a mixer with paddle attachment or an electric whisk. To the butter, add the cream cheese, caramel sauce and vanilla extract. Beat this mix on a medium speed until light and fluffy. Slowly add the icing sugar, beating on low speed, until well combined. Now increase the speed again until well combined and smooth.
5. Spread some buttercream on one cake and place the other cake on top. Use the remaining buttercream to decorate as you like. You can spread it all on top or pipe a beautiful design on the cake. Alternately you can cover the entire cake with the icing and dust some cocoa powder to finish.