Deep-fried savoury chicken pies
- Preparation Time10 mins
- Cooking Time25 mins
For the deep-fried savory chicken pies
2) Form and roll out the biscuit dough into 8 circles, measuring 12 1/2cm in diameter each. Moisten edges with water or double cream. Add Rodney's chicken filling to the centre of the circle. Fold dough over the filling to form a half-moon shape and seal edges with the tines of a fork. Place each biscuit into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 4 to 6 mins. Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to drain. Brush with melted butter, transfer to a serving dish and serve.
For Rodney Henry's savory chicken pie filling:
1) Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2) Stuff quartered onions and whole carrots into the cavity of chicken. Rub salt, black pepper and butter into skin of chicken. Place rosemary sprigs under the skin and place into a roasting pan. Place sage on top of chicken and roast for 1 1/2 hrs.
3) Remove the chicken from the oven. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to cool.
4) Meanwhile, place sliced carrots and potatoes on sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Place into the preheated oven and roast until caramelised.
5) When chicken has cooled, discard the quartered onions, whole carrots, sage and rosemary. Pull the chicken meat off the bones and cut into 1cm pieces. Place into a large bowl with chicken juice from roasting pan along with potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, double cream and flour. Mix together well.
Cook's Note: Filling will be thick.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Note: In the US you can buy pre-made American biscuit dough in a can. To substitute, see Paula Deen's American biscuit recipe.