Duck, duck, delicious burgers
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time36 mins
For the honey plum sauce
For the patties
2) To make the honey plum sauce, combine the plums, honey, garlic, ginger, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce and chilli flakes in a fireproof saucepan and place on the grill over a medium-high heat. Bring to the boil and then place the saucepan to the side of the grill with indirect heat and simmer, covered, for 15 to 30 minutes, until the plums are completely cooked.
3) Place the mixture in the bowl of a food processor or blender and puree until well combined. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add more of any specific ingredient you feel necessary (such as honey, hoisin sauce).
4) To make the patties, remove the skin from the duck breasts. Place the duck breasts and 1 of the skins in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until well combined. Transfer the duck mixture to a large bowl.
5) Add the spring onions, coriander leaves, five-spice powder, salt and pepper to the bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into burgers to fit the onion rolls.
6) Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the burgers on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, just until done, about 3 minutes on each side. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the onion rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
7) To assemble the burgers, place a generous amount of the honey plum sauce on the cut side of the onion rolls. On the onion roll bottoms, place a burger and an equal amount of napa cabbage. Add the onion roll tops and serve.