Griddled cake sundaes with raspberry topping
Turn leftover loaf cake into a satisfying sundae for a speedy dessert.
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time90 mins
For the cake
For the sundaes
For the raspberry topping
2) Cream the sugar together with just 80g of the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and lemon essences and mix well.
3) In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Add 1/3 of the dry mixture to the creamed mixture and beat on low until mixed.
4) Mix in half the sour cream, then alternate between the flour mixture and sour cream, until everything is combined.
5) Pour the cake mixture into the Bundt pan. Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 1/2 hours or until a cake tester inserted in the cake comes out with a few crumbs clinging.
6) Cool for 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
7) Preheat an outdoor barbecue or griddle pan. Melt the remaining butter and slice the cake. Using a pastry brush, coat both sides of cake with butter. Grill on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from barbecue and cool slightly. Cut the slices into bite-size pieces.
To create sundaes:
1) Fill a bowl with ice cream, add pieces of pound cake and sprinkle on the toppings.
2) Drizzle with chocolate syrup and garnish with raspberry topping.
1) Combine all the ingredients in a pan and simmer until thickened.
2) Allow to cool before using.