Popcorn and peanut cupcakes
Who'd have thought of topping their cupcakes with popcorn? Us!
- Preparation Time175 mins
- Cooking Time25 mins
For the peanut brittle
For the buttermilk cake
For the butterscotch caramel
For the fudge icing
For the caramel popcorn
For the vanilla buttercream
1) Combine the sugar, peanuts and golden syrup in a saucepan. Cook on a medium heat until the mixture is golden in colour.
2) Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter and bicarbonate of soda. Working quickly, spread the mixture onto the greased baking sheet. Allow to cool slightly before using a spatula to spread the mixture out even further.
3) Once cooled a little more, stretch the brittle out very thin by hand. Once fully cooled, approximately 30 minutes, break the brittle into small pieces. You will not need all this brittle for the cupcakes, the extra can be stored in a plastic storage container for snacking or a second batch of cupcakes.
For the buttermilk cake:
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Line the cups of 3 cupcake or muffin tins with paper baking cases.
2) In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until smooth. Add in the eggs and yolks, 1 at a time. Scrape down the bowl and mix after each egg addition.
3) In a separate bowl, sift together the cake flour, plain flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda. In a third bowl, mix together the buttermilk and vanilla essence.
4) Add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk mixture to the butter-egg mixture, alternating between the dry and wet ingredients. Fold in the chopped peanut brittle.
5) Using a medium-size ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake cases. Add a layer of mini chocolate shell candies. Bake until the tops of the cupcakes lightly spring back when pressed and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 20 to 22 minutes. Allow to cool.
6) Fill the cooled cupcakes with the butterscotch caramel. Spread the fudge icing on top. Sprinkle the caramel popcorn over the icing and top with a dollop of the vanilla buttercream. Top the buttercream with a mini chocolate shell candy.
For the butterscotch caramel:
1) Warm the butterscotch topping, and then add the cream and salt, mixing until smooth. Allow the mixture to cool, and then transfer to a disposable pastry bag fitted with a small tip and use to fill the cupcakes.
For the fudge icing:
1) In a food processor, blend the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt until smooth. Add the golden syrup and vanilla essence. Blend again, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
2) Add the chocolate and pulse until completely combined. It should be smooth and creamy.
For the caramel popcorn:
1) Place the brown sugar, salt, butter, golden syrup and vanilla essence into a microwave-safe container, and cook on high power for 1 minute. Remove and stir until smooth. Place the container back in the microwave and cook again for another 2 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbling.
2) Remove the container from the microwave and stir in the bicarbonate of soda. It will foam up.
3) Spray a large stainless steel bowl with nonstick spray, and place the popcorn in it. Pour the hot mixture from the microwave over the popcorn, and toss until evenly coated. Spread the popcorn over a sheet tray and move it around until it is all separated. Allow the mixture to cool before layering on top of the fudge icing.
For the vanilla buttercream
1) In a bowl, whisk together the egg whites and sugar. Heat them over a bain marie or a saucepan of boiling water until hot and the sugar is melted.
2) Pour the hot egg white-sugar mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high until the mixture is cooled. Switch to a paddle attachment. With the mixer running on medium-high speed, gradually add the softened butter until the frosting is thick, smooth and glossy. Add the vanilla essence, and mix until combined.
Other recipes with egg
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Tofu Skewers With Walnut Pesto
Italian Burger with Caramelised Onions
Full English Breakfast Bowl Rolls
Individual Sticky Toffee Puddings
Victoria Sponge Cake
Black Pudding Scotch Eggs
Meatball Scone Sandwiches
Thai Red Curry Scotch Eggs
Sweet and Sour Pork Sliders
Slaughter's Summer Fruit Tarts
Brioche Tea Sandwiches
Turkey, Red Pepper and Basil Frittata
Turkey and Brussels Bubble and Squeak
Basil, Ricotta, Walnut and Parma Ham Cocktail Quiches
Candy Cane Cookies
Mini Christmas Cakes with Soft Silver Pearls
Mini Christmas Cakes
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.