- Preparation Time10 mins
- Cooking Time10 mins
For the macerated strawberries
For the chocolate meringue
For the strawberry sorbet
2) Sift all the dry ingredients (sugar, salt, flour, cocoa powder, atomised chocolate) together into a large mixing bowl.
3) Make a well in the centre of the bowl. Stir the blended mixture into the dry ingredients. Let it rest 30 minutes at room temperature.
4) Press mixture through a spaetzle press into a large pot of boiling water. Cook for 1 minute after they float. Drain. Put into a large bowl and toss with a pinch of salt and enough olive oil just to coat.
5) Heat up a large griddle and coat with oil. Toss the cooked spaetzle onto the hot griddle with some drained macerated strawberries. Cook until the spaetzle has crisped up a bit.
6) Top with chocolate meringue, and strawberry sorbet.
7) For the macerated strawberries, toss the strawberries in the simple syrup and let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Yield: 2 to 3 servings
For the chocolate meringue:
1) Preheat oven to 90 degrees C.
2) Whip whites and sugar together in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Sift together cocoa and powdered sugar. Fold the dry ingredients into the meringue when it has reached full volume. Then fold in the cocoa nibs.
3) Spread the chocolate meringue onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet, sprayed with nonstick spray, about 6-mm thick.
4) Bake for about 1 hour or until the meringue is hard and completely dried out.
Yield: 3 to 5 servings
For the strawberry sorbet:
1) Heat the water and sugar in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves completely. Cool. Puree the strawberries with enough simple syrup to cover in the blender. Strain through a sieve. Stir the remaining simple syrup into the strained strawberry puree.
2) Freeze in an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
Yield: 2 litres