Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate mascarpone filling and zinfandel buttercream
- Preparation Time90 mins
- Cooking Time19 mins
For the swiss meringue buttercream
For the chocolate mascarpone swiss meringue buttercream
For the zinfandel swiss meringue buttercream
For the chocolate cupcakes
For the chocolate icing
1) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, thoroughly whisk together the sugar and egg whites. Set the bowl over a pan of boiling water. Whisking constantly, heat to 62 to 65 degrees C. Return the mixing bowl to the stand and whisk until stiff and the bottom of the bowl comes to room temperature, about 8 minutes.
2) Change to the paddle attachment and turn the mixer to low speed. Add the butter, a few cubes at a time, until incorporated. Mix at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix until combined. Divide the total yield in 1/2. You will only need 1/2 for both the chocolate and zinfandel buttercreams. Set aside 1/2 for other use.
For the chocolate mascarpone buttercream:
1) Fold the melted and cooled chocolate and the mascarpone cheese into 1/2 of the swiss meringue buttercream.
For the Zinfandel buttercream:
1) Blend the Zinfandel wine into remaining 1/2 of swiss meringue buttercream. Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large straight pastry tip.
For the cupcakes:
1) Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C/Gas mark 3. Line standard cupcake tins with 27 cupcake liners.
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugar, buttermilk, and oil. Mix well. Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing on low speed until completely mixed together. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt into a separate bowl and whisk together. In a liquid measuring cup, mix the water with the instant coffee, dissolving the coffee powder completely. Add 1/2 the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture just until incorporated. Mix in the water and coffee mixture. Add the rest of the dry ingredients, mixing until combined, and then beat for 2 minutes.
3) Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake until golden brown, 17 to 20 minutes. Cool the cupcakes completely.
For the chocolate icing:
1) Heat the cream until hot but do not boil. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and salt until smooth. Add 1/2 the icing sugar, mixing until smooth. Add the chocolate and the remaining icing sugar and mix until creamy. Adjust to desired spreading consistency with additional cream or icing sugar, if needed. Place in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
1) Remove a piece from the center of each cupcake and fill the cupcake with about 1 tbsp. chocolate mascarpone swiss buttercream. Pipe a generous amount of chocolate icing onto the top of the cupcake. Pipe a dollop of zinfandel swiss meringue buttercream on top of the chocolate icing. Top with half a strawberry and drizzle with melted chocolate.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Other recipes with chocolate
Quick White Chocolate Eton Mess in a Kilner Jar
Chocolate Cheesecake Candy Cane Bars
John Whaite's Cranberry, Chocolate and Pecan Biscotti
White Chocolate Buche De Noel
Chocolate and Orange Christmas Cake
Lyle's® Choc-Chestnut Pots
Red Hot Santa Tini
White Chocolate Egg Nog
S'mores Delight - Christmas Special
Christmas Cookie Cocktail
Cinnamon and Vanilla Pod Hot Chocolate
Eight-Flavor Sheet Pan Brownie-Cookie Bars
Rainbow Unicorn Brownies
Rainbow Fruit Skewers
Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
Chocolate Chunk Blondies
Chocolate and Raspberry Tart
Other recipes with egg
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Tofu Skewers With Walnut Pesto
Italian Burger with Caramelised Onions
Full English Breakfast Bowl Rolls
Individual Sticky Toffee Puddings
Victoria Sponge Cake
Black Pudding Scotch Eggs
Meatball Scone Sandwiches
Thai Red Curry Scotch Eggs
Sweet and Sour Pork Sliders
Slaughter's Summer Fruit Tarts
Brioche Tea Sandwiches
Turkey, Red Pepper and Basil Frittata
Turkey and Brussels Bubble and Squeak
Basil, Ricotta, Walnut and Parma Ham Cocktail Quiches
Candy Cane Cookies
Mini Christmas Cakes with Soft Silver Pearls
Mini Christmas Cakes
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.