Baking powder biscuits
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the dough
For the glaze
2) Line a baking tray with two layers of parchment or greaseproof paper. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt until evenly combined.
4) Rub 2 tablespoons of the butter into the flour with your fingertips, until it is completely absorbed. Work the remaining butter into the flour until it is in even pieces about the size of a pea. Gently stir the milk into the flour mixture with a fork to make a loose dough.
5) Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Pat the dough by hand into a 1cm-thick rectangle. Fold the dough in thirds like a business letter. (For a flakier biscuit repeat this folding a second time.) Pat the dough into a 13 by 20cm rectangle about 2cm-thick. Use a 5cm cutter to make 6 biscuits, and place them on the prepared baking tray. Press together the scraps of dough, cut 2 more biscuits, and place them on the baking sheet.
6) Make a glaze by mixing the cream and melted butter together in a small bowl. Lightly brush the tops of the biscuits with the glaze. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, GP. All rights reserved