- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time195 mins
For the stuffing
1) Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
2) Remove the wrapping, drain the turkey, and blot the exterior dry with paper towels. Then remove the neck and giblets from the two cavities. Place the turkey breast-side-up in a shallow pan 6 1/4 or 7 1/2 cm deep. Stuff turkey and brush or spritz the turkey with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Insert an oven-safe meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. Place the turkey in the oven. Do not baste or open the oven door for 2 hours, 10 minutes of the cooking time. After 2 hours, 10 minutes of the cooking time has passed, the turkey will be a light golden brown. Baste turkey with remaining oil and place a tent of lightweight aluminum foil over the breast and continue cooking. Continue to roast until the thigh reaches a temperature of 80 degrees C. Once done, let the turkey rest for 20 minutes before carving.
3) Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
4) In a skillet, crumble the sausage and cook until no longer pink. Remove to a paper towel so the excess fat is absorbed. Drain the skillet, reserving 1 tbsp of fat. Saute the apple in the fat. Set aside.
5) Melt the 25 g butter and saute the onion and celery (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat. Place the dried bread cubes in a large bowl. Add the parsley, sage, marjoram, thyme, salt, pepper and the sauteed onion, celery and apple. Toss to mix. Add the melted butter and blend well. Add the egg and thoroughly work into the stuffing mixture. Add the broth to moisten and mix well. Don't be afraid to get your hands in the mixture to thoroughly mix and blend the ingredients.
5) Use the stuffing to either stuff a 5 1/2 kg turkey or as a side dish by greasing a 2 1/4 L casserole and fill with dressing. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. If a crisp top crust is desired remove the cover for the last 5 minutes of baking.