Anniversary chocolate-buttermilk layer cake with toffee and toasted almonds
- Preparation Time45 mins
- Cooking Time40 mins
For the cake
For the filling
For the icing
For the assembly
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease and flour 3 (18-cm) cake tins. Cut greaseproof paper circles to fit the bottoms of the tins and fit into the bottom of each.
2) In a free standing mixer, add both sugars and butter and beat until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and tomatoes. In a separate large bowl, combine the cocoa, flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder.
3) Beat the cocoa mixture into the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk, in 3 additions. Pour into the prepared tins. Bake the cakes for 32 to 35 minutes, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and the tops spring back at the touch. Cool the cakes for 15 minutes. Carefully remove from the tins and cool completely on racks.
For the ganache filling:
1) In a large saucepan, heat 250ml of the cream to boiling. Stir in the chocolate. Cover and leave to sit for 5 minutes then whisk until smooth. Cool the ganache completely.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining 250ml of cream until soft peaks form. Stir in the ganache mixtue, stirring gently so as to not deflate the cream. Refrigerate until assembly time.
For the icing:
1) Combine the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat until fluffy.
2) Stir in the buttermilk, salt, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat in enough icing sugar in 60g increments until light and fluffy, adding more buttermilk if necessary.
To assemble the cake:
1) Trim the tops of the cake with a serrated knife so that they are perfectly even and flat.
2) Place 1 cake layer on a cake platter and spread with half the ganache filling, not quite to the edges. Sprinkle with 50g almonds and 30g of toffee pieces. Repeat with the next layer. Top with the final cake layer.
3) Cover the top and outside of the cake with the cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the remaining toffee and almonds, and garnish with chocolate curls. Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 24 hours before serving.
Other recipes with egg
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Tofu Skewers With Walnut Pesto
Italian Burger with Caramelised Onions
Full English Breakfast Bowl Rolls
Individual Sticky Toffee Puddings
Victoria Sponge Cake
Black Pudding Scotch Eggs
Meatball Scone Sandwiches
Thai Red Curry Scotch Eggs
Sweet and Sour Pork Sliders
Slaughter's Summer Fruit Tarts
Brioche Tea Sandwiches
Turkey, Red Pepper and Basil Frittata
Turkey and Brussels Bubble and Squeak
Basil, Ricotta, Walnut and Parma Ham Cocktail Quiches
Candy Cane Cookies
Mini Christmas Cakes with Soft Silver Pearls
Mini Christmas Cakes
Other recipes with tomato
30-Minute Spicy Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
25-Minute Cheesy Sausage and Butternut Squash Casserole
25-Minute Grilled Pork Chops with Succotash
Herbed Chicken Marsala
Tomato Feta Pasta Salad
BBQ Prawns with Roast Chilli Salsa
Prosciutto Lamb Burgers
Baked Caprese Salad
Mango And Baby Tomato Salad
Full English Breakfast Bowl Rolls
Coronation Turkey Filled Jackets
Crunchy Peanut Butter, Turkey and Coconut Curry
Turkey Lasagne with Butternut Squash and Spinach
Smoked Salmon Puffs
Pesto and Sundried Tomato Camembert Wreath
Winter Vegetable Soup
Blue Cheese Steak Sandwich With The Works
Italian Sausage and Egg Bake
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.