Apple charlotte with cinnamon sabayon
- Cooking Time50 mins
For the filling
For the batter
For the cinnamon sabayon
1) Set a large saute pan or roasting pan over medium heat and add butter. Peel and cut cheeks off apples then cut into 1cm chunks. Once butter has melted and just starting to foam, add apples, scraped vanilla and its pod, lemon juice, and brown sugar and cinnamon. Toss to coat well and cook for 20 to 25 mins until apples are just tender and liquid has evaporated. The sauce will caramelise slightly and should be a nice, rich dark color.
2) In a shallow dish, make the batter by combining eggs, milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir with a whisk until fully combined.
3) Preheat oven to 190C/Gas 5 and generously butter and sugar 4 ramekins.
4) Invert a ramekin, or use a round cutter, on half of the bread slices to use as a guide to cut out circles. These will be the bases and top of the charlottes - you should have 8 in total. Cut the other slices of bread in half lengthwise.
5) Lightly coat the bread circles in the batter and place in the bottom of each ramekin. Lightly dip the other rectangles of bread in batter as well, then use them to line the walls of each ramekin - standing them upright around the perimeter leaving an overhang that you will later use to fold over and seal the charlotte. It should take about 6 strips per ramekin. Fill each mould with apples and some of the caramel from the pan. Fold over the edges to seal it up completely and sprinkle the tops with a little sugar.
6) Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 to 25 mins. If the tops brown too quickly, cover loosely with foil. When done, the bread will have puffed up slightly, the edges will be brown and the sugar on top will have caramelised. Allow to cool slightly, then run a knife around the edges and invert onto individual plates. Serve with cinnamon sabayon.
For the cinnamon sabayon:
1) To make sabayon, combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set over a pot of boiling water on low heat, i.e. a double boiler. Whisk (you can use an electric whisk to make it easier) until the mixture becomes light and fluffy and the volume almost doubles.
Other recipes with lemon
20-Minute Chicken Thighs and Couscous with Dill
Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Pine Nut Pesto
Grilled Mixed Fruit
Grilled Chickpea Polenta Cakes with Chive Oil and Lemon
BBQ Rump of Lamb with Cumin Rub
Spiced Lamb Skewers with Blackberry Quinoa Salad
Spiced Salmon Kebabs with Yoghurt Sauce
Grilled Lamb Sandwiches
Mustard-Grilled Mackerel with Tenderstem and Toasted Lemon-Basil Breadcrumbs
Grilled Tuscan Chicken
Sweet apple iced tea
Lemon and Elderflower Martinis
Fresh Ginger Juice
Ginger and Cucumber Juice
Lemon Tiramisu Trifle
Lemon and Cranberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
Mini Mushroom, Kalonji and Feta Pies
Christmas Turkey Penne with Lemon, Walnut & Ginger
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.